5,604,122 Members 48,987 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CHALLENGE BRICK -- S-ON - HBOOT - 1.54 - UNLOCKED - no OS

Tip us?

turbomzi
Old
(Last edited by turbomzi; 3rd December 2013 at 09:43 PM.) Reason: Tested a few things, new findings
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] CHALLENGE BRICK -- S-ON - HBOOT - 1.54 - UNLOCKED - no OS

I have been playing around with this for the past 24 hours almost non-stop. The device information:

M7 T-Mobile (converted to GE 4.3)
No OS installed at this point
HBOOT 1.54
S-ON (Unfortunately big mistake not to take care of this during conversion)
Unlocked Bootloader

Can do adb and fastboot commands, but anything that I try to write to system (from a ZIP file either RUU or custom ROM, they error out)

fastboot oem rebootRUU then trying to flash would give me: FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)

trying to update the bootloader from the same package I get: FAILED (remote: 12 signature verify fail)

I can flash boot and recovery images and that's about it, tried both CWM and TWRP to install CynogenMod, they both fail.

Here is the history of what happened:

Day one, I wanted to convert to GE so I did and everything worked, the device wasn't rooted or anything so it was fully GE. (S-ON though). Yesterday, when 4.4 OTA came, I went aehead and installed, everything installed fine OS booted to lock screen, but as soon as launcher was initiated, the phone would restart within 3 seconds (first mistake was to update through OTA, but I thought I was converted completely so trusted it). Second mistake was I said, well I will just reinstall all the apps since nothing worked after trying for hours so I did a wipe and reset factory and now, it would boot to the setup screen and after 3 seconds like before, it would restart, so I decided to get rid of whatever on there from fastboot and that's where I stand today. I played with it for hours yesterday and today and I have tried the toolkit, revnov (which doesn't work with 1.54 and rumrunner requires the device to boot to OS, which I don't have).

I feel like I have managed to brick it even with being able to send and execute commands.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

EDIT 1:

TWRP comes up with a password prompt right at the beginning as if the data on the phone is encrypted. I never encrypted the phone in any way, I did have corporate email that had the right to wipe the device.

lojak29
Old
Thanks Meter 152
Try sideloading a Rom from recovery from your pc to phone

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

I know one thing never hit reboot if you ever see No Os installed while In recovery
That means the bootloaderr will be wiped
...I did this with my s3 had to jtag repair.
Best of luck

turbomzi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sideload won't work, it immediately fails on TWRP (last log is updating partitions), in fact, when on CWM, adb wouldn't load the device at all (no devices listed), but when TWRP, it works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojak29 View Post
Try sideloading a Rom from recovery from your pc to phone

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

I know one thing never hit reboot if you ever see No Os installed while In recovery
That means the bootloaderr will be wiped
...I did this with my s3 had to jtag repair.
Best of luck

blackangst
Old
Thanks Meter 360
Try uninstalling and re-installing your drivers on your PC and try again.

turbomzi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I actually got it back. I gave myself a clue on here, apparently, the phone when factory resetting encrypted the device and I went through fast because the device would restart if I didn't so couldn't read all pop-ups. I went ahead and encrypted which is why TWRP and CWRM didn't work, tried many methods to remove the encryption and just wipe everything off. Nothing worked, the data couldn't even mount to be wiped therefore no ROM would successfully install. So I reinstalled recovery of GE build that I used for factory reset, went into that recovery and wiped cach and data completely and this time it worked (no other version worked before). After that it was easy to TWRP or any other custom recovery to get the stock ROM on the phone and now it's all back. Now I am back to completely stock with tampered flag and unlocek bootloader. Eventually, I will do a proper conversion to GE because I am starting to dislike the SENSE (which I knew I would) because of all the stuff I don't use and worse battery management and mobile data unnecessarily updating things I don't use. This was such a experience, as much as I wanted to keep the Nexus 5, had to return it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Is there any way I can get rid of tempered flag, I know I ran across something well hidden, ant link would be helpful, thanks.

MrWhat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
what is meant with "GE build"? I am stuck in the same situation you have been, but have no clue what you did to get it back to life. THanks for a hint.

turbomzi
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I meant version by build. You can find an RUU for the version you were on (4.2.2 or 4.3 or 4.4) and take out the recovery.img and in fastboot, flash recovery with that image and go in recovery and wipe data. I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhat View Post
what is meant with "GE build"? I am stuck in the same situation you have been, but have no clue what you did to get it back to life. THanks for a hint.