XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Make a new Vroot program

Tip us?

troy7548
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Make a new Vroot program

Just throwing this out there but it seems this Vroot program works to root the MJ7 build, but some say it may be harmful. Isn't there a way to look at the program to see how it is accomplishing root and make a "safe program" that isn't Chinese? No idea here cause i'm to noobish but just saying.

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy7548 View Post
Just throwing this out there but it seems this Vroot program works to root the MJ7 build, but some say it may be harmful. Isn't there a way to look at the program to see how it is accomplishing root and make a "safe program" that isn't Chinese? No idea here cause i'm to noobish but just saying.
There's already plenty of threads discussing this. "Noobish" is not a valid excuse for not reading first.

A little reading goes a long way.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

troy7548
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
There's already plenty of threads discussing this. "Noobish" is not a valid excuse for not reading first.

A little reading goes a long way.
lame

richii0207
Old
Thanks Meter 395
Quote:
lame
Most of the people who could answer that for you know the answer because they read the forums

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
Rom: Unrooted / Stock

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
lame
Yup, I agree. It was. Hopefully you'll avoid tripping over banned topics in the future.
My Android devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

crazysoccerman
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Pretty sure the topic of vroot isn't banned, just links.

Also the latest version isn't chinese.

darker_slayer
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207 View Post
Most of the people who could answer that for you know the answer because they read the forums
Can either of you smart folks post a link to a thread where someone is using a dissassembler or sniffer like softice, ida pro, diver to look at what vroot is requesting on the pc side? Seems that these two root programs have found a usable exploit that gets around knox, selinux, etc, but have been found to request a little too much during the process. I've been reading the forums and searched around, but if you know where this is being discussed please link. Thanks in advance

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by darker_slayer View Post
Can either of you smart folks post a link to a thread where someone is using a dissassembler or sniffer like softice, ida pro, diver to look at what vroot is requesting on the pc side? Seems that these two root programs have found a usable exploit that gets around knox, selinux, etc, but have been found to request a little too much during the process. I've been reading the forums and searched around, but if you know where this is being discussed please link. Thanks in advance
OK, I'll try to be more helpful.

The issue is that vroot is pulling things from the network over an encrypted connection, so it's going to be hard to grab the content of what it's downloading to the phone. I don't know if it's downloading directly to the phone or creating temporary disk files with the exploit. If the latter, then it would be possible to keep it from deleting those files and disassemble them. However, the only way you're going to know is to let it run and that's a bit too scary for me.

Another possibility - probably more useful - would be to capture all of the USB traffic between the PC and the phone. I've looked into software that supports that and just need to find some time to play around. Once we know what's being pushed to the phone, it's possible to reverse engineer it.

There's a few threads discussing vroot, but nothing so far that I've found where there's an organized effort to reverse it.

So far, my attempts at rooting not using vroot have been failures. I'm still trying to get something to work, but I fear that SELinux is going to defeat me.
My Android devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darker_slayer
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
The issue is that vroot is pulling things from the network over an encrypted connection, so it's going to be hard to grab the content of what it's downloading to the phone. I don't know if it's downloading directly to the phone or creating temporary disk files with the exploit. If the latter, then it would be possible to keep it from deleting those files and disassemble them. However, the only way you're going to know is to let it run and that's a bit too scary for me
Thanks, didn't think about that

I used it myself on an S4 from ebay (came with mj7). Used the following
  • Factory reset on s4
  • No sim inserted
  • No wifi credentials given
  • d/l vroot and ran in sandboxie
  • after root I actually used a burner gmail for play store instead of mine
  • probably could have sideloaded the terminal apk instead, doh
  • moved the mrw folder over and ran the terminal commands from the video

If I had sideloaded the terminal emulator, I could have kept the phone from any network connection the whole time. Didn't actually need to connect to wifi until after reboot and superuser replacement with supersu

Only point being, whatever it pulls in goes through the computer as I had no connection on the s4 whilst running it, so usb sniffing should go a long way

Thanks again for the clarification

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1245

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by darker_slayer View Post
Only point being, whatever it pulls in goes through the computer as I had no connection on the s4 whilst running it, so usb sniffing should go a long way
Thanks - that's helpful information.
If I ever do this, it's going to be with wireshark capturing all of the network packets and something capturing the USB traffic. Hopefully that would be enough to reverse engineer whatever it's doing.
My Android devices:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1