5,599,135 Members 35,061 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I accept the OTA download?

Tip us?

csetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default [Q] Can I accept the OTA download?

I have an AT&T HTC One that I converted to a rooted Dev Edition 4.3 and I've been using CWM touch. I'm S-Off and recently switched back to AT&T CID since I read that that was a better setting than SuperCID. I'm now being offered OTA download of the KitKat/Sense 5.5 update, but I'm not sure whether I should accept the download? Will it work? If not, what would happen?

Thanks for insights.
Craig

EsJayEs
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csetera View Post
I have an AT&T HTC One that I converted to a rooted Dev Edition 4.3 and I've been using CWM touch. I'm S-Off and recently switched back to AT&T CID since I read that that was a better setting than SuperCID. I'm now being offered OTA download of the KitKat/Sense 5.5 update, but I'm not sure whether I should accept the download? Will it work? If not, what would happen?

Thanks for insights.
Craig
Nope. I wouldn't touch it if I were you. Unless you're using the stock recovery (and ideally not rooted), don't accept an OTA update. If you for some reason want to keep your custom recovery, you could try manually downloading it and sticking it in your phone memory to install from.

Download link from HTC: http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_M7_UL_K44_...sthngg08zv.zip

If you want to take it via OTA, you must first flash the stock recovery to the phone. You can leave it rooted if you want, but you may lose root after the update anyway. Can't say for certain since I'm running stock (aside from being unlocked and S-Off). Also, change your CID to BS_US001. There's no advantage to using the wrong CID.
HTC One Vivid Blue converted to Developer Edition

If my post was helpful, please click on "thanks"

csetera
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsJayEs View Post
Nope. I wouldn't touch it if I were you. Unless you're using the stock recovery (and ideally not rooted), don't accept an OTA update. If you for some reason want to keep your custom recovery, you could try manually downloading it and sticking it in your phone memory to install from.

Download link from HTC: http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_M7_UL_K44_...sthngg08zv.zip

If you want to take it via OTA, you must first flash the stock recovery to the phone. You can leave it rooted if you want, but you may lose root after the update anyway. Can't say for certain since I'm running stock (aside from being unlocked and S-Off). Also, change your CID to BS_US001. There's no advantage to using the wrong CID.
Thanks. That was kind of what I was guessing. Is it possible to remove root temporarily? Given that I'm S-off, I'm not too worried about being able to get it back. I'm trying to avoid a full wipe if possible.

EsJayEs
Old
Thanks Meter 17
To completely remove root I think you have to flash a stock RUU, which will wipe your phone. If you get back to stock recovery, flash the OTA update through recovery, you should be ok. But you may need to root again.
HTC One Vivid Blue converted to Developer Edition

If my post was helpful, please click on "thanks"