XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't get over 3 hours of battery life on any rom/stock

Tip us?

michael74195
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Can't get over 3 hours of battery life on any rom/stock

I've seen threads of people being able to get 5 hours of screen time easily on 1 charge throughout the day. I can't come closer to that my phone struggles to get to 3 hours. I've tried everything but i think there is something wrong with my phone's physical hardware. I've even tried 3 different batteries. Two of them were original Samsung batteries purchased directly from the Samsung service centre near my house and the other was an anker 5200mah battery. I use 3g since i find LTE drains a little more battery. At work i listen to music and it drains about 30-40% over 6 hours. When I'm on the bus to school i also listen to music so that adds about 3 hours of music playback. I've tried different roms but the most i could get was 3 1/2 hours and that was when i capped the processor at 900mhz and undervolted. I replaced my Razr HD which was running stock and not rooted and i could get easily 4 hours of screen time and 3 hours of music playback time in 10 hours of uptime. I've also tried several different roms/kernel combinations and let them settle in for a few days before taking any battery life into account.

Also the only push app I use is the stock email app which syncs my outlook/gmail every hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-29-16-35-44.png
Views:	102
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2435038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-29-16-36-05.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	2435039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-13-12-56.png
Views:	91
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	2435040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-05-13-12-47.png
Views:	94
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	2435044  

dark5577
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael74195 View Post
I've seen threads of people being able to get 5 hours of screen time easily on 1 charge throughout the day. I can't come closer to that my phone struggles to get to 3 hours. I've tried everything but i think there is something wrong with my phone's physical hardware. I've even tried 3 different batteries. Two of them were original Samsung batteries purchased directly from the Samsung service centre near my house and the other was an anker 5200mah battery. I use 3g since i find LTE drains a little more battery. At work i listen to music and it drains about 30-40% over 6 hours. When I'm on the bus to school i also listen to music so that adds about 3 hours of music playback. I've tried different roms but the most i could get was 3 1/2 hours and that was when i capped the processor at 900mhz and undervolted. I replaced my Razr HD which was running stock and not rooted and i could get easily 4 hours of screen time and 3 hours of music playback time in 10 hours of uptime. I've also tried several different roms/kernel combinations and let them settle in for a few days before taking any battery life into account.

Also the only push app I use is the stock email app which syncs my outlook/gmail every hour.
Are those three large chunks of awake time from listening to music? If you're streaming music over 3G that would definitely be heavy on the battery, but even without streaming, I would say that's normal for a GS4 if you're listening to that much music. The GS4 is pretty inefficient when it comes to being awake, even if it's not doing anything (or playing music). Perhaps you could look into lowering the idle clock which is 384 MHz by default. I don't know much about underclocking and kernels since I'm on MF3, so I can't help you with that.

michael74195
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark5577 View Post
Are those three large chunks of awake time from listening to music? If you're streaming music over 3G that would definitely be heavy on the battery, but even without streaming, I would say that's normal for a GS4 if you're listening to that much music. The GS4 is pretty inefficient when it comes to being awake, even if it's not doing anything (or playing music). Perhaps you could look into lowering the idle clock which is 384 MHz by default. I don't know much about underclocking and kernels since I'm on MF3, so I can't help you with that.
Yeah over 90% of my wakelocks are from music the rest is from random small things that have negligible impact or from data turned on. All my wakelocks are accounted for so i didn't posted better battery stats. All my music is stored on the external SD card with media scan set to scan on manual. My minimum clock speed is set to 189mhz at 775mv and im on ktoonservative. I always thought the S4 was more efficient at playing music. I guess i will try the phone out without any music playback.