5,593,401 Members 36,317 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Something's wrong with my Galaxy S4, but what?

Tip us?

PinoPano
Old
(Last edited by PinoPano; 6th December 2013 at 10:03 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Something's wrong with my Galaxy S4, but what?

I hope someone can help explain my S4's odd behavior. I'll try to be brief but give enough details for the experts to get an idea.

- The phone discharges to about 30% and then either turns off or starts to bootloop or just behaves weirdly by closing processes and apps making it unusable

- Once fully charged, it'll finally boot again almost normally but first I have to go into recovery and wipe partition and after various attempts it'll finally boot. Its behavior will be normal and everything will function perfectly well until it goes back down to about 30% charge again

- There are 2 things to rule-out: battery and rom. The battery is brand new and 100% original because I've already changed it thinking that it was the culprit. I'm currently using AOSP 4.4 rom but the behavior is the same with any rom even stock roms

- I can't get it serviced because thanks to the new bootloader my warranty is void

Any suggestions?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3014
USB board/port. Replace it first. Given it's quick/cheap/easy to do on the S2, I think you'll find it's the same on the S4. Search online & here for details/the service manuals which might be useful. You could also pay a local mobile repair shop to do it, but why pay them 3-5x (or more) what the part costs in labour to do it when you can do it yourself ?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PinoPano
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Thanks! Will try that and will def do it myself. Am pretty familiar with hardware. I too think at this stage that it's a hardware issue

PinoPano
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
USB board/port. Replace it first. Given it's quick/cheap/easy to do on the S2, I think you'll find it's the same on the S4. Search online & here for details/the service manuals which might be useful. You could also pay a local mobile repair shop to do it, but why pay them 3-5x (or more) what the part costs in labour to do it when you can do it yourself ?
Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's the usb port? I have to say that it crossed my mind once as well because on a few rare occasions I had problems charging my phone as if the usb cable or port was defective. My PC at times has also had problems recognizing my galaxy when plugged in, but only very rarely so I didn't make much of it

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3014
The charging issues you've had, another battery not solving those issues, and the auto shutdowns/auto bootloops for no reason have always been symptomatic of the USB board/port on the fritz on the S2 and the S3 (saw so many of these in S2 Q&A this year particularly), just sounds a lot like it. Put it this way, if it's not, it's something much worse hardware-wise, but I think you'll find the easy fix will resolve it in this case.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]