5,595,067 Members 40,765 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: external storage, yay or nay
big SD is the way to go 1 100.00%
no SD, a-la-iphone is the best 0 0%
what is external storage... 0 0%
give me a 1 tb phone already! 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] how to store music on external SD (google music, amazon store)

Tip us?

rodrigoperu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Audio [Q] how to store music on external SD (google music, amazon store)

ok peeps, I'll try to make it short and to the point.

Mods, I've tried searching the forums, I can't seem to find an answer, if one's available, my apologies for duplicating a thread, and if you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

so, I've got a Galaxy S4, Tmobile, 16gb, stock 4.3 rom (per latest OTA update) and it's rooted.

I used to have a mytouch 4g and I found a thread here on how to create links via ROM Toolbox to fool the google music store into downloading my purchases to the external card instead of internal memory. Mind you, I had CM loaded on the mytouch, but I thought just rooting the Galaxy would allow me to do the same.

In short, I can't. it took me a while to find the directory where the Galaxy stores the downloaded files from google music play store (WTF with the names google), but I can't create the link so that future downloads go straight to external SD (I've got a 64gb one on the phone)

I know I can manually move the files, either on the phone or connecting the phone to my laptop and moving the files that way, but that's not the point. I should be able to specify where to download my music, after all I'm paying for it for chrissakes...

the amazon store is much more flexible, it does allow me to specify a different folder, but it won't reach up to the main directory to choose external SD, only the retarded virtual storage folders...

any help will be much appreciated!! thanks everyone.

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 149
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2414467

rodrigoperu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thank you se1000. I reviewed the thread that you linked to, and while it sites offer a solution to my problem, it still involves further mods to the phone. Not opposed to that if needed, but I'm trying to find out a more direct approach, downloading yet another app is not really what I was going for. Have you come across other solutions? I keep searching, but no luck.

sent via pigeon mail

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 149
If you're rooted the xposed method is by far the easiest. Install the framework, install the module and specify your path.

se1000
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Looks like the new Google Music update has this included!
The Following User Says Thank You to se1000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rodrigoperu
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Effin' A!. Says "experimental" on devices below kit kat. Hope they don't take it away on any future update. I'll disable auto update/save this version's apk just in case.

sent via pigeon mail

ghettoc401
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoperu View Post
Effin' A!. Says "experimental" on devices below kit kat. Hope they don't take it away on any future update. I'll disable auto update/save this version's apk just in case.

sent via pigeon mail
Use Titanium Backup to make a backup of the app and upload it to your dropbox or save it on your computer or something. Also you could dual boot your phone and install the GPE rom and use KitKat

The Following User Says Thank You to ghettoc401 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
external storage, folder problem, moving files, music download