5,605,187 Members 38,792 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking for advice,and some general answers.

Tip us?

DeathBoT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Looking for advice,and some general answers.

I currently have a Galaxy S4 SCH-I337 MF3. Its rooted. Safestrapped, with Bare stock TW on stock ROM slot, and GS4 GPE on ROM slot 1.
  1. My first question is this: Can I do a full backup of my stock ROM and flash over it? I know its generally considered not to do that but im losing alot of drive space running it this way. This leads me to question 2.
  2. If I can not Flash over the stock, can I make my ROM slot 1 OS have a bigger partition? I need more then 2GB of free space for apps. If thats not possible, I was thinking of backing up and then building a new ROM slot with more space.
  3. Can I harness the whole of the drive, TW rom slot aside?

Also as a side question, I managed to delete the stock messaging app from my GPE OS, I was trying to install the CM one from the play store. It crashes on boot of the app, so i removed it and now stock sms is gone. I tried to pull the APK from my GPE rom, but it would not install.

failedjedi
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBoT View Post
I currently have a Galaxy S4 SCH-I337 MF3. Its rooted. Safestrapped, with Bare stock TW on stock ROM slot, and GS4 GPE on ROM slot 1.
  1. My first question is this: Can I do a full backup of my stock ROM and flash over it? I know its generally considered not to do that but im losing alot of drive space running it this way. This leads me to question 2.
  2. If I can not Flash over the stock, can I make my ROM slot 1 OS have a bigger partition? I need more then 2GB of free space for apps. If thats not possible, I was thinking of backing up and then building a new ROM slot with more space.
  3. Can I harness the whole of the drive, TW rom slot aside?

Also as a side question, I managed to delete the stock messaging app from my GPE OS, I was trying to install the CM one from the play store. It crashes on boot of the app, so i removed it and now stock sms is gone. I tried to pull the APK from my GPE rom, but it would not install.
You can wipe out stock slot and only have the one rom on stock slot with no other slots taking up space.

At first this wasn't possible, but now that the backup image is out there, you can always restore to the stock samsung TW rom if anything messes up.

So unless you actually wanted to 2 OS's to switch between, I would just delete all the rom slots, and put whatever rom you want in stock rom slot. although it can only be the 4.2.2 GPE edition or TW based, but I assume you know that already.
The Following User Says Thank You to failedjedi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DeathBoT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks much. This really helps. Would I be able to back up rom slot 1, then restore it to stock slot.? Also what wiping would I need to do? I don't want to accidently wipe out my SD.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda premium

DeathBoT
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by failedjedi View Post
You can wipe out stock slot and only have the one rom on stock slot with no other slots taking up space.

At first this wasn't possible, but now that the backup image is out there, you can always restore to the stock samsung TW rom if anything messes up.

So unless you actually wanted to 2 OS's to switch between, I would just delete all the rom slots, and put whatever rom you want in stock rom slot. although it can only be the 4.2.2 GPE edition or TW based, but I assume you know that already.
Thanks much. This really helps. Would I be able to back up rom slot 1, then restore it to stock slot.? Also what wiping would I need to do? I don't want to accidently wipe out my SS.