5,593,248 Members 32,378 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any sales figures, did this product fail?

Tip us?

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdevega View Post
I'm thinking about getting this tablet. I'm currently sporting a Nexus 10 since December and still enjoying it without issues. It has served me well. But now that the refresh to the Note 10.1 has made its way and with the awesome screen along with the speed and memory expansion I think its time for a change. I haven't seen an advertisement or seen it available at my local Stores yet. I am a little upset of the price. More expensive then I would like to spend on a tab.

Or maybe wait for the refresh of the Nexus 10...
It's fun reading everyone's guesses about the N10 Gen2 on the N10 forum. Here are my guesses...
  • Hardware wise, it won't out-spec anything else currently available. The N5 is a good indicator. It's got competitively high-end components but none that exceed what's already on the market. The push from Google for Nexus has typically been "more for less;" not "more" overall. Design wise the N5 and N7-13 don't break any ground with the latter trimming down a bit in size over its predecessor.

I'd expect the N10 Gen2 to follow suit and maybe take on the design language of the N5 and N7-13. I wouldn't expect any ground breaking h/w features and I'd expect it to be either Tegra 4 or S-800 based. I don't think it'll be made by Samsung and I don't think it'll use Exynos. It could be Intel based as Intel's desperately trying to gain ground in mobile.

On the s/w side I'd expect the N5's features to be added including tighter Google Now integration alone with "OK, Google" controlling parts of the user experience. Since a tablet's battery is so large they could follow the "always-on" model used on the Moto X so that you can wake the N10 Gen2 while it's sleeping.

• The N10 at launch wasn't cheap at $399 for 16GB and $499 for 32GB. Its big pitch was the first availability of a 299 PPI 10.1" display and powerful CPU/GPU. But that, along with Google-supplied updates, was its claim to fame. At those prices Google wasn't trying to set the world on fire sales wise. The N5 and N7-13 went up in price with the implied justification being more "stuff." I could see the N10 Gen2 starting at $429 for 32GB and $479 for 64GB. That is if Google sticks to their 10.1" offering being high-end. With the success of the N7 at the low end they could go an entirely different route and do a "nicely equipped" (current specs, updated design, new CPU/GPU) 10" tablet at $329 for 16B and $379 for 32GB. I know everyone's expecting the next N10 to exceed the current version spec wise but lowering the price (and content) would probably sell more of them then increasing the specs and price.
As for the N10.1-14's price it's pretty ballsy of Samsung to price it where they have. The display is beautiful; certainly a better display than what's on the N10 even though they are the same resolution. I haven't seen a TF701 to comment on its display. The new form factor is fantastic; it's amazing how small Samsung was able to make it. But it's biggest differentiator compared to other big tablets is Samsung's s/w and S Pen. With things like multiview which has been nicely updated, Pen Window, Action Memo, the new S Note, and Scrap Book it's a fantastic productivity tool. It's my third 10.1" Samsung tablet and the first I can comfortably use as a (part time) laptop replacement. I have two gripes. Well not really gripes but things I question. The phone UI on a 10.1" tablet is stupid and Samsung's implementation unclean. The notification panel when pulled down covers the entre display and rather than take advantage of the added real estate info is blown up in size so the Wi-Fi toggle is 1" square. There are other areas in the OS and TW where the additional real estate is squandered and things look kind of funky. Those coming from a N10 are probably use to it. The h/w buttons are also kind of strange. I've had my N10.1-14 for a couple of weeks now and I'm still not use to them. In landscape they're OK, they're goofy in portrait. Short of leaving the capacitive lights on all the time you have to remember where they are when using the N10.1-14 in dark conditions. And rather than increase the DPI to get more out of the space saved by moving to h/w buttons all you get in return is larger content (EG: bigger icons). I'm fine with it but it's still a bit odd and you can't help think Samsung could have done more to both streamline the phone UI and better leverage the space h/w buttons freed up.

That said, for pure consumption use, you'd really have to want the new display and form factor to pay what Samsung's asking. But at least for those prices the design's improved over past Samsung tablets and it looks more "premium;" especially when paired with the redesigned Book Cover that looks great and adds functionality. But aside from the display, form factor, and better design people that are going to rip out its guts to run AOSP(ish) ROMs might be better off waiting for the N10 Gen2 assuming its price<>value is superior. At least for me, it's what the N10.1-14 does that makes it worth its premium price.

And don't underestimate what Samsung's done with the form factor; it's pretty impressive and makes other 10.1" Android tablets look like kids toys.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jjdevega
Old
(Last edited by jjdevega; 6th December 2013 at 05:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 206
As always I appreciate your insight Barry Good points. A lot to think about. Hopefully devs will start picking this up and start cooking up some roms for this tablet. It has great specs. When I had the original N10.1 I had a lot of fun with the Spen but got turned off by the resolution. Now its a difderent ball game.

Its nice to see old faces around here. I see your still as informative as ever

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdevega View Post
I see your still as informative as ever
Or as annoying. The knife cuts both ways.