XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.3 question

Tip us?

Skizzy034
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 454
Default 4.3 question

I may trade some one for this phone. It has the 4.3 update on it already. Can I flash a custom recovery of I don't care if Knox gets tripped or can a recovery not be flashed at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
*NOTE* I'll never recommend using a toolkit to root your device because if you don't know how to root your phone manually, you shouldn't be rooting your phone. -KidCarter93 <--- Right on the money

My Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/sgutowski77

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1884

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkizzMcNizz View Post
I may trade some one for this phone. It has the 4.3 update on it already. Can I flash a custom recovery of I don't care if Knox gets tripped or can a recovery not be flashed at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Sure you can, you can flash either TWRP or CWM recovery, but you need to ROOT
the phone first. Without root you cannot do much of anything except download/install
apps and games from the google play store.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

Skipjacks
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky View Post
Sure you can, you can flash either TWRP or CWM recovery, but you need to ROOT
the phone first. Without root you cannot do much of anything except download/install
apps and games from the google play store.

Good luck!
I think you can still direct flash a recovery in Odin on the 4.3 firmware, can't you?

I dont' know for sure as I never tried it. But if you can still flash CF-Auto Root in Odin I'd imagine you could flash TWRP or CWM in Odin too. All CF Auto Root does is install a recovery to flash SuperUser, so I'm pretty sure you can direct flash any other Recovery.

If you are looking to flash custom ROMs this is the faster way because it eliminates a step. If you just want the stock ROM with root access, then you may as well just CF Auto Root it (which will trip the knox flag) and install a recovery later.
Do you want insanely better battery drain when your phone is idle? Check out this thread!
Have a question about the T Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4? Click here for the Help Thread!

peeps67
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I have 4.3 and have tripped KNOX. I downloaded the 4.3 stock tar and tried to flash it with Odin and it just fails. The only way to get my phone to boot again is to flash TWRP with Odin and then it boot up into my 4.3 rom I installed via TWRP.

Any way to get the stock 4.3 onto the phone again?
Thanks

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1884

DONATE TO ME
Post re: recovery/knox

I have been meaning to ask this question for about 4 days now...
Actually I was waiting for someone else to ask this question...

Why is it that on MDL 4.2.2 roms I can see all the options in the screen shot below when long pressing
a contacts names so I can edit their phone numbers and details plus a lot of other options.

Here is a screenshot of MDL 4.2.2 contact screen after long pressing contact name:

When I long press a contact name using the MK2 4.3 stock/semi stock roms I
don't even see "edit", there are only perhaps 4 options to choose from when I
long press contact names.

I have flashed 3-4 of these MK2 4.3 cwm/twrp zip file roms and they also have the
same issue. (perhaps I am really over looking something?)

Thanks!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).