5,606,588 Members 35,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

any ROMS that use less space and stock kernel?

Tip us?

terrapin69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Default any ROMS that use less space and stock kernel?

I foolishly upgraded to 4.3 and, of course, it came with all the KNOX crap attached. I can easily download a custom 4.2.2 ROM but then I get that annoying red and yellow "warranty" and "kernel" message at every boot. I also noticed that 4.3 eats up a ton of space - I used to run at like 14% device storage being used, now I'm at almost 60%!

Is there any ROM out there that I could flash that would drastically free up space on the device as well as eliminate the red and yellow messages at the boot?

Thanks

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1885

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: roms

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin69 View Post
I foolishly upgraded to 4.3 and, of course, it came with all the KNOX crap attached. I can easily download a custom 4.2.2 ROM but then I get that annoying red and yellow "warranty" and "kernel" message at every boot. I also noticed that 4.3 eats up a ton of space - I used to run at like 14% device storage being used, now I'm at almost 60%!

Is there any ROM out there that I could flash that would drastically free up space on the device as well as eliminate the red and yellow messages at the boot?

Thanks
There is no way to gain "user available space" even if the rom is half the size it is.

The PIT file (partition information table) pre-determines the size of
the partition where the rom resides which means that regardless of
the size of the rom the space it takes up will be the same and it will
not have any effect on "user available space".

Modifying the PIT file or flashing a pit file which is modified
will result in a expensive shiny brick with a black screen.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

The Following User Says Thank You to Misterjunky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]