XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is Rooting Worth it Yet?

Tip us?

AndrewWalker613
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Is Rooting Worth it Yet?

Im still running stock 4.2.2 from Rogers on my D803 but the fact that Im basically 3 versions back on a brand new phone has been crawling under my skin since the day I bought it (4 days ago)

I was wondering if its worth it yet to root tho? I do really love the features this phone was built with, like the quick remote especially, since I already have it all programed for all my TV's and Cogeco boxes in my home.

Im basically wanting to know what we lose going to the custom roms made by guys like Heustonn, or if everything is more or less functional?

Word on the street is LG will have the official Kit Kat by March, so should I just tough it out, or should I just go for it?

I also have TONNES of experience with flashing. Ive been rooting since my old HTC Hero, and I also had the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus, so its not a confidence thing, its just more a feature thing since Ive found some of the LG stuff to be really cool so far!

Thanks

redduc900
Old
Thanks Meter 40
KitKat isn't due out for the G2 until some time in the 1st quarter of next year, so why not try out some different ROMs while you're waiting? You can always flash the original firmware if you want / need to go back to stock, which will remove the root status and reinstall the stock recovery.
Phone: LG G2 VS980

xdafoundingmember
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 34
4.2.2 has more features then 4.4 lol

Sent from my LG-D803 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

btm fdr
Old
Thanks Meter 706
You won't lose any features rooting..

Sent from my LG-D800
Device LG G2
Rom AeonFlex
Kernel Stock
Recovery TWRP

jellopuddingstick
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWalker613 View Post
I was wondering if its worth it yet to root tho? I do really love the features this phone was built with, like the quick remote especially, since I already have it all programed for all my TV's and Cogeco boxes in my home.
QuickRemote has been ported to all AOSP roms. You can find it in the themes and apps section.

GizmoKaca
Old
Thanks Meter 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWalker613 View Post
Im still running stock 4.2.2 from Rogers on my D803 but the fact that Im basically 3 versions back on a brand new phone has been crawling under my skin since the day I bought it (4 days ago)

Im basically wanting to know what we lose going to the custom roms made by guys like Heustonn, or if everything is more or less functional?

Word on the street is LG will have the official Kit Kat by March, so should I just tough it out, or should I just go for it?

I also have TONNES of experience with flashing. Ive been rooting since my old HTC Hero, and I also had the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus, so its not a confidence thing, its just more a feature thing since Ive found some of the LG stuff to be really cool so far!

Thanks
You can get QuickRemote and LG Camera for AOSP based 4.4 roms, and if you don't like LG's skin I would definitely recommend trying out one of the many awesome custom roms here!

abowers
Old
Thanks Meter 7
2nd day I rooted and flashed to gummy 4.4. Love it. Kit Kat is slick