5,597,647 Members 33,160 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Idea for LOCKED phones(rooted) to update to latest OTA

Tip us?
 
ggddver
Old
(Last edited by ggddver; 6th December 2013 at 07:05 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Nov 2013
Question [Q] Idea for LOCKED phones(rooted) to update to latest OTA

hey, everyone..... I have an idea for those LOCKED phones whose system version is 9.8.1Q-78-1 to update to the latest OTA(94-1)。。。。
here is my idea:
First, we need an unlocked phone which system is the latest version.
Then, use safestrap to backup the system
Last, all locked phones(!!have rooted!!) install safestrap and restore the backup package

My Phone version is 9.8.1Q-78-1

So 。。。Will this idea work out?
 
ezknives
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 71
Posts: 272
Join Date: Jul 2013
Im not really sure but from what I gather on all that I've read the new update had a different kernel.... Since the device is locked and uses the stock kernel safestrap doesn't flash that partition so it wouldn't work... But I still consider my self a noob with all this so I don't really know...

Sent from my XT907 using xda app-developers app
 
aviwdoowks
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 357
Posts: 1,816
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggddver View Post
hey, everyone..... I have an idea for those LOCKED phones whose system version is 9.8.1Q-78-1 to update to the latest OTA(94-1)。。。。
here is my idea:
First, we need an unlocked phone which system is the latest version.
Then, use safestrap to backup the system
Last, all locked phones(!!have rooted!!) install safestrap and restore the backup package

My Phone version is 9.8.1Q-78-1

So 。。。Will this idea work out?
My SS rom post (my stickys) has that very option for you to test ...78 boot on ...94 system in a rom slot.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

I would like to know if it works!
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra Stuck W/O Root links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7. Wait Wait Wait: My OTG fix works!

 
ggddver
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
My SS rom post (my stickys) has that very option for you to test ...78 boot on ...94 system in a rom slot.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

I would like to know if it works!
In my test,it worked!!I restored into the rom slot1。。and boot successfully。。but this does not update the kernel....it is always the old version
 
aviwdoowks
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 357
Posts: 1,816
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggddver View Post
In my test,it worked!!I restored into the rom slot1。。and boot successfully。。but this does not update the kernel....it is always the old version
Correct. You bypassed the ota. Your boot can only be touched by the ota.
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra Stuck W/O Root links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7. Wait Wait Wait: My OTG fix works!

 
ggddver
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
Correct. You bypassed the ota. Your boot can only be touched by the ota.
So...Can I flash the new boot.img from the lastest firmware ?(I'm not trying this) My phone is locked....is there any problem to do this?
 
aviwdoowks
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 357
Posts: 1,816
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggddver View Post
So...Can I flash the new boot.img from the lastest firmware ?(I'm not trying this) My phone is locked....is there any problem to do this?
The flash or adv recovery (if I posted a boot restore) would fail!
Your boot (kernel) , bootlogo & recovery are locked.
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF
 
-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra Stuck W/O Root links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7. Wait Wait Wait: My OTG fix works!


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Polish Your Custom Themes with Theme Debugger

Creating a custom Android theme from scratch can be quite the laborious task. In addition to … more

Clean Up Your Logcat Code with Lib Cleaner

Some of you may think that writing code is the hardest part of development. It’s not, as the … more

Tweak Your Xperia Device’s Camera App Yourself

We’ve come to expect nearly perfect cameraperformancein our modern day … more