5,597,354 Members 31,174 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Root gone after update. Wont boot twrp.

Tip us?

michaelsteinbach
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Exclamation [Q] Root gone after update. Wont boot twrp.

Hello,

First I want to say how much this forum has helped me in the past with my DroidX and Bionic.
I upgraded to an HTC One last month and using instructions here, ran rumrunner on it to unlock and S-off. After successfully rumming it, I had root and all was good. I hadn't bothered to install twrp or Cyanogen because I wasn't planning on flashing any roms anytime soon.
About a week later, the phone wanted to do an OTA update. I did it without checking to see if it would break anything. After the update, I no longer had root. Superuser was saying the binaries were not there and it couldn't install them.

I tried running rumrunner again, downloading the correct package for the newer software version. It seemed to work ok in the command prompt but I still didn't have root access.

Today, I tried pushing Twrp. The command prompt appears to have completed correctly but when I try to boot to recovery, it shows the HTC screen with the red dev text for about a minute, then it just restarts and boots normally.

I appreciate any help.

~Mike

Chilidog
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsteinbach View Post
Hello,

First I want to say how much this forum has helped me in the past with my DroidX and Bionic.
I upgraded to an HTC One last month and using instructions here, ran rumrunner on it to unlock and S-off. After successfully rumming it, I had root and all was good. I hadn't bothered to install twrp or Cyanogen because I wasn't planning on flashing any roms anytime soon.
About a week later, the phone wanted to do an OTA update. I did it without checking to see if it would break anything. After the update, I no longer had root. Superuser was saying the binaries were not there and it couldn't install them.

I tried running rumrunner again, downloading the correct package for the newer software version. It seemed to work ok in the command prompt but I still didn't have root access.

Today, I tried pushing Twrp. The command prompt appears to have completed correctly but when I try to boot to recovery, it shows the HTC screen with the red dev text for about a minute, then it just restarts and boots normally.

I appreciate any help.

~Mike
Make sure you have the vzw htc one twrp
The Following User Says Thank You to Chilidog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dynofrk666
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah I would make sure you're using the vzw twrp, i did the exact same thing that you did and just simply pushing twrp recovery and flashing superuser.zip in recovery regained root access for me. I didn't have to run rumrunner twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to dynofrk666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

michaelsteinbach
Old
(Last edited by michaelsteinbach; 7th December 2013 at 06:12 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
The TWRP site lists phone models:
TWRP for HTC One [m7]
TWRP for HTC One (Sprint USA) [m7wls]

I downloaded the m7 variety. My One is on Verizon. There are other "One"s listed but they are Max, S, SV, V, VX, X, and X+.

edit: Ok, I got it. I did a search and found an xda post by Flyhalf205 with the correct file.
Thanks guys.

~Mike