XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S-OFF, no root. Options for root and/or SU

Tip us?

pukebag
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] S-OFF, no root. Options for root and/or SU

I've got a device and need either root or su for system app development, but want to do this in the least invasive way possbile. The twist... this is likely a pre-release device and came from HTC with S-OFF (HBOOT-1.01.0000).

With S-OFF (but no root) what are the options for getting root and/or SU installed?

junkmail9
Old
Thanks Meter 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukebag View Post
I've got a device and need either root or su for system app development, but want to do this in the least invasive way possbile. The twist... this is likely a pre-release device and came from HTC with S-OFF (HBOOT-1.01.0000).

With S-OFF (but no root) what are the options for getting root and/or SU installed?
Least invasive: Install superuser/su from adb, leaving stock recovery in place. LMGTFY: http://www.equisoforum.com/Thread-AD...ro-Root-method

Better route: Flash CWM or TWRP recovery to phone, then flash superuser/su package from recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to junkmail9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pukebag
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail9 View Post
Least invasive: Install superuser/su from adb, leaving stock recovery in place. LMGTFY: no_urls_from_noobs

Better route: Flash CWM or TWRP recovery to phone, then flash superuser/su package from recovery.
(please forgive if anything I have below is nonsense... I'm slowly building my understanding)

I don't believe the 1st method will work. I can't 'adb remount' because I don't have root on the device ('remount failed: Operation not permitted'). If remount worked I'd be good, because as you suggest I could push the su apk/permission/scripts to the device. I also tried remounting the /system partition as RW but no luck ('mount: Operation not permitted').

I'll try the 'traditional' CWM route. I just wasn't sure if having S-OFF opened up any other options for getting root, mounting /system as RW, or...

Thanks much.

junkmail9
Old
Thanks Meter 213
Quote:
(please forgive if anything I have below is nonsense... I'm slowly building my understanding)

I don't believe the 1st method will work. I can't 'adb remount' because I don't have root on the device ('remount failed: Operation not permitted'). If remount worked I'd be good, because as you suggest I could push the su apk/permission/scripts to the device. I also tried remounting the /system partition as RW but no luck ('mount: Operation not permitted').

I'll try the 'traditional' CWM route. I just wasn't sure if having S-OFF opened up any other options for getting root, mounting /system as RW, or...

Thanks much.
I have always used the "Better Route". However, I was under the impression that s-off unlocked the partitions.

Out of curiosity, did you try the following command anyway: (adb push su /system/bin) ?

pukebag
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmail9 View Post
I have always used the "Better Route". However, I was under the impression that s-off unlocked the partitions.

Out of curiosity, did you try the following command anyway: (adb push su /system/bin) ?
At least in this case /system is mounted RO:
- adb shell mount | grep system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
- adb push foobar.txt /system/bin -> 'failed to copy foobar.txt to /sytem/bin/foobar.txt : Read-only file system

This isn't a regular consumer device so it's at least a little funky. For example, it doesn't get OTA updates and is stuck with an old RUU (htc sense 4.0... ruu 1.31.605.1 (? not sure where exactly to get RUU version). It also has the 'normal' CID (VZW__001).

It might get a little interesting digging up workable bootloader and supercid method, now out-of-date for basically everyone else.

junkmail9
Old
Thanks Meter 213
Quote:
At least in this case /system is mounted RO:
- adb shell mount | grep system -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p33 /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
- adb push foobar.txt /system/bin -> 'failed to copy foobar.txt to /sytem/bin/foobar.txt : Read-only file system

This isn't a regular consumer device so it's at least a little funky. For example, it doesn't get OTA updates and is stuck with an old RUU (htc sense 4.0... ruu 1.31.605.1 (? not sure where exactly to get RUU version). It also has the 'normal' CID (VZW__001).

It might get a little interesting digging up workable bootloader and supercid method, now out-of-date for basically everyone else.
If you're already S-OFF, you shouldn't need to do anything with supercid. Just put the phone into fastboot and flash a custom recovery - either CWM (link) or TWRP (link), depending on your preference. Follow the "manual installation" steps in the thread of your choice. I have been very happy with PhilZ's Touch CWM.

Also - first thing to do after installing the recovery is to make a nandroid backup of the (semi) pristine state of your phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to junkmail9 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]