Why does DE get to keep warranty and not the regular version when bootloader is unloc

Search This thread

Mastaking

Nov 6, 2012
I don't like the black and white color scheme. The phones are identical and yet one gets to keep the warranty. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

maratd

Mar 6, 2011
I don't like the black and white color scheme. The phones are identical and yet one gets to keep the warranty. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Motorola needs to sell phones. That's what they do. To do that, they need to be friends with the carriers. Carriers don't want you unlocking your phone and uninstalling all the junk they put there. They make money from that junk. So you need to be discouraged from doing that.

Now, Motorola was actually nice enough to sell phones directly, outside of the carriers, to the general public. These phones are unlocked and easily rooted. That's great!

The cup is half full, not half empty.

Mastaking

Nov 6, 2012
Motorola needs to sell phones. That's what they do. To do that, they need to be friends with the carriers. Carriers don't want you unlocking your phone and uninstalling all the junk they put there. They make money from that junk. So you need to be discouraged from doing that.

Now, Motorola was actually nice enough to sell phones directly, outside of the carriers, to the general public. These phones are unlocked and easily rooted. That's great!

The cup is half full, not half empty.

I hear that and in a Macro way that does make sense, but when I think about it in a selfish Micro way I just can't help but feel that it doesn't make any sense that they would let you keep your warranty if it has the words Developers Edition on your phone.

D

Deleted member 2351944

I hear that and in a Macro way that does make sense, but when I think about it in a selfish Micro way I just can't help but feel that it doesn't make any sense that they would let you keep your warranty if it has the words Developers Edition on your phone.

I'm guessing it's largely about the subsidy. If the carrier is footing the bill for your phone up front, they don't want you running out and doing something they might have to support, thus costing them twice. It's probably easier to void the warranty for all subsidized versions rather than keeping track of who paid full price and who took a subsidy.

Mastaking

Nov 6, 2012
I'm guessing it's largely about the subsidy. If the carrier is footing the bill for your phone up front, they don't want you running out and doing something they might have to support, thus costing them twice. It's probably easier to void the warranty for all subsidized versions rather than keeping track of who paid full price and who took a subsidy.

That's a very good point.

rfulcher

Apr 12, 2012
Nexus 7 (2013)
EDIT: Yes, you do keep the warranty. Sorry for the misinformation below (retained so that the following replies continue to make sense) :)

You actually DON'T keep warranty with the Dev Ed if you unlock the bootloader.

There's a statement in the box (just got my VZW Moto X DE yesterday) that states as soon as you unlock, you void the warranty and are on your own.

Thus, the only difference is that Motorola willingly gives DE owners the unlock code without having to surreptitiously hack the phone.

I was under the initial impression that you keep warranty. But you do not. Despite whatever the Moto website says.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2351944

Reactions: rfulcher

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org

There's a statement in the box (just got my VZW Moto X DE yesterday) that states as soon as you unlock, you void the warranty and are on your own.

Thus, the only difference is that Motorola willingly gives DE owners the unlock code without having to surreptitiously hack the phone.

I was under the initial impression that you keep warranty. But you do not. Despite whatever the Moto website says.

Odds are, the retail packaging was never updated when they made their change.

Reactions: rfulcher

rfulcher

Apr 12, 2012
Nexus 7 (2013)

Apparently, that is the case. Mea culpa.

"Despite what Motorola says" I stated because one of the reasons I bought the DE was that I was under the impression that the warranty would be preserved. Then, opening the box and seeing that cautionary pamphlet, I (wrongly) assumed that I had misinterpreted Motorola's website claims regarding the DE. What I didn't do was go back and confirm via Motorola's website.

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks to binary visions and imnuts for the correction!

planktoid

Aug 24, 2012
Vernon, British Columbia
The pamphlet is being edited to display the same language we have on the web site on new units. Sorry your unit did not come with an updated psmphlet but the web site language and new legal agreement takes precedence.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: cellzealot

dobbs3x

Dec 25, 2010
Eugene, OR
Plug phone in, run a couple commands, copy key, goto Motorola's official unlock site, paste code, get email from Motorola, copy another code in that email. Run command. Profit. I think that is pretty much how you unlock the carrier versions. It's not any having and is an official procedure from Motorola. What's the difference for the DE versions?

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2351944

Plug phone in, run a couple commands, copy key, goto Motorola's official unlock site, paste code, get email from Motorola, copy another code in that email. Run command. Profit. I think that is pretty much how you unlock the carrier versions. It's not any having and is an official procedure from Motorola. What's the difference for the DE versions?

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

A) not all the carrier versions can be unlocked, and
B) only the DE versions maintain their warranty after unlocking, as already stated above

SymbioticGenius

Aug 24, 2012
Don't blame Motorola. Carriers require locked bootloaders. When you get unlocked phones usually you can do whatever you want to it. The warranty thing is a nice addition but I've never broken a phone to the point where I couldn't fix it myself. Personally I don't see an issue with the colors the warranty is just a bonus.

Sent from my Nexus 5

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
We're talking about the carrier variants that can be unlocked. We already know why AT&T and Verizon variants can't be unlocked, and that's completely irrelevant to this thread.

Reactions: Jayrod1980

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
We're talking about the carrier variants that can be unlocked. We already know why AT&T and Verizon variants can't be unlocked, and that's completely irrelevant to this thread.

Same premise applies in the poster's comments above you. The carrier doesn't want to encourage this behavior so while they don't stop you from unlocking, they don't want to cover the related warranty issues.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
I can't really see how that is true since t mobile and sprint both have and embrace the nexus program. In fact the t mobile moto x is the XT1053... Same exact phone as the gsm Dev edition save for the words on the back. Hell, if woven white was available through moto maker, I could go build a woven white back and black front phone and have the words "Developer Edition" put on the back and it would simply be the exact same.

I don't really understand the warranty thing with t mobile since a 32gb moto maker x is the exact same price and exact same model with the same process for unlocking. For Verizon I get it because they already have a locked phone policy, but t mobile doesn't. In fact, T-Mobile says they carry the phone but it isn't a T-Mobile branded phone (which is why they don't have Wi-Fi calling on it).

As well, functionality wise, if you want a nice looking unlocked moto x for at&t, you moto make a t mobile version and unlock it.

At least Motorola has a no questions asked return policy. I unlocked mine and was able to return it. Of course I flashed back to stock (huge pain compared to normal fastboot) and relocked it prior to returning. One thing they don't mention is they pay for return shipping, contrary to their website.

Reactions: sunnycheeba

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
Same premise applies in the poster's comments above you. The carrier doesn't want to encourage this behavior so while they don't stop you from unlocking, they don't want to cover the related warranty issues.

The carrier has no say in a manufacturer's warranty, especially when the carrier doesn't even sell the phone.

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
The carrier has no say in a manufacturer's warranty, especially when the carrier doesn't even sell the phone.

It does as far as warranty facilitation. You will no longer be able to walk into your carrier store for support. You'd need to work with Motorola directly. While you may be covered with Moto, your carrier isn't obligated to assist you.

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
It does as far as warranty facilitation. You will no longer be able to walk into your carrier store for support. You'd need to work with Motorola directly. While you may be covered with Moto, your carrier isn't obligated to assist you.

With the US XT1053, you were never able to walk into a carrier store in the first place. T-Mobile does not sell this phone. They will not support it if you walk into a store, regardless of whether you are unlocked or not. And before somebody tries to say that it's still carrier-associated because they have the carrier name on the website when you order, well, so does the Verizon Dev Edition. The warranty is still valid on that when unlocking. Verizon won't help you with that, either, but Motorola will. That's what needs to happen with the T-Mobile X as well.

Sprint is slightly different, but as mentioned, they sell the Nexus phones in their store, which are also not warranty-voided if unlocked. I'm pretty sure they could manage to figure out how to handle the X, too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's an unfair world we're living in.
    D
    Deleted member 2351944

You do, in fact, keep the warranty. I think it's funny that you say "despite what Moto says" - Moto provides the warranty. Why is what they say not valid?

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/11/you-asked-we-listened-announcing.html

Requesting an unlock code will no longer void the device’s warranty

The pamphlet is being edited to display the same language we have on the web site on new units. Sorry your unit did not come with an updated psmphlet but the web site language and new legal agreement takes precedence.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app