5,594,077 Members 47,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tried to convert to Google edition, now phone boots to this grey 'noise' screen

Tip us?

KevinJD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Tried to convert to Google edition, now phone boots to this grey 'noise' screen

I tried following the instructions here (http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-t...dates-0148068/)

After being directed to this page (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2322820)
I followed the directions on changing the Model ID. After changing the model ID and cell ID, I pushed 2 zip files to the phone (PN0714000.zip and the RUU zip). I reached a point where it booted and a green progress bar showed up. It stopped about 3/4 of the way through. And now it boots to this grey 'noise' screen. i can still run commands via adb. I even flashed a recovery img and rebooted. But no matter what i do, the grey screen is what boots up.

I should say the grey screen shows up instantly. As soon as I turn the phone on it shows up as quickly as that bootloader menu.

Any ideas? Is this the product of a wrong img? I did my best at trying to use the correct model numbers and RUU zip file, but I could have used the wrong one.

Any help would be much appreciated. I spent the day on Google and these forums trying to find answers and attempt fixes. NOthing has worked.

The Following User Says Thank You to KevinJD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

karn101
Old
(Last edited by karn101; 6th December 2013 at 10:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJD View Post
I tried following the instructions here (http://htc-one.wonderhowto.com/how-t...dates-0148068/)

After being directed to this page (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2322820)
I followed the directions on changing the Model ID. After changing the model ID and cell ID, I pushed 2 zip files to the phone (PN0714000.zip and the RUU zip). I reached a point where it booted and a green progress bar showed up. It stopped about 3/4 of the way through. And now it boots to this grey 'noise' screen. i can still run commands via adb. I even flashed a recovery img and rebooted. But no matter what i do, the grey screen is what boots up.

I should say the grey screen shows up instantly. As soon as I turn the phone on it shows up as quickly as that bootloader menu.

Any ideas? Is this the product of a wrong img? I did my best at trying to use the correct model numbers and RUU zip file, but I could have used the wrong one.

Any help would be much appreciated. I spent the day on Google and these forums trying to find answers and attempt fixes. NOthing has worked.
Well, your biggest problem is that all those instructions aren't for a Verizon HTC One.

Can you get into fastboot? I would flash a RUU and just not try to do what you were doing. Follow these instructions since you are S-Off.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2475216

Also, Step 6 says that it's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowboy23 View Post
Step 6:
When you start your command prompt follow the steps in the picture below. PLEASE BE PATIENT!! After flashing the ENG HBOOT your HTC One will not boot up but you'll just get a gray spotted screen. Your device is not bricked. You can still use adb commands to write the model ID and CID even with a gray screen. WHEN REBOOTING HOLD DOWN POWER BUTTON FOR A FEW SECONDS. You might have to press and hold power button and volume down button when rebooting your phone.

NOTE: When you run the RUU and it says "waiting for bootloader" you will need to restart your phone manually by holding down the power button for a few seconds until it reboots. EACH TIME (does it twice) the RUU says "WAITING FOR BOOTLOADER" you will need to restart the phone manually
The Following User Says Thank You to karn101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mercer24
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Are you in the correct forum first? karn101 is correct this is for the Verizon HTC One. The problem is if you have a Verizon variant we are on a CDMA network. The Google Play Editions are for GSM networks which are AT&T and T-Mobile. I would head over to those forums if that is what your phone is. If not and it is a Verizon variant I would attempt to flash the RUU if you look around through the forums you will be able to find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mercer24 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KevinJD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercer24 View Post
Are you in the correct forum first? karn101 is correct this is for the Verizon HTC One. The problem is if you have a Verizon variant we are on a CDMA network. The Google Play Editions are for GSM networks which are AT&T and T-Mobile. I would head over to those forums if that is what your phone is. If not and it is a Verizon variant I would attempt to flash the RUU if you look around through the forums you will be able to find it.
I have a Verizon HTC One. Isn't that where I'm at?

KevinJD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by karn101 View Post
Well, your biggest problem is that all those instructions aren't for a Verizon HTC One.

Can you get into fastboot? I would flash a RUU and just not try to do what you were doing. Follow these instructions since you are S-Off.

Thanks. I'll look at the thread. (I'll check fastboot when I'm home from work )

karn101
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJD View Post
I have a Verizon HTC One. Isn't that where I'm at?
You are. But the thread you linked to is for the GSM version, not the Verizon version.

KevinJD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
You are. But the thread you linked to is for the GSM version, not the Verizon version.
Aw man. Could be part of my problem then. I actually tried hard to make sure any links i followed or downloads were for Verizon HTC one.

KevinJD
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Well I just hit one of the first steps and I can't proceed. "Next have your phone booted into the os / rom of choice doesn’t matter I have done this from both CM and Stock/Rooted" I can't boot into anything. Its just stuck at this static screen. I"m not sure whats behind the static. Though I can use the volume keys and go up/down then hit the power, which causes it to reboot. It seems like it's going up and down a menu, like the bootloader screen.

projektorboy
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Enjoy your paperweight sir.