5,606,530 Members 33,286 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Am I worrying about nothing?

Tip us?

yugendreams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Am I worrying about nothing?

I just got this thing yesterday from eBay, refurbished from Asus for $209 (32gb) and one of the first things I noticed was a small protrusion from above the microphone jack. Here's my dilemma, I'm really into my electronics looking perfect although I know over time they will have little problems. But is this something to worry about or me just being anal?
I have the opportunity to get it exchanged but it would take a several days and besides being anal I'm not patient.

Thanks in advance.

AidenM
Old
Thanks Meter 316
Well, it's definitely not something that's supposed to be there - I just checked my tablet and it doesn't have that slight lump. The only thing it might possible interfere with would be headphones, and even then there's a really slim chance. Pop in some headphones and see if they work - if they do, there should be no other problems.
mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest ; repo sync ; make

Mirrors for Nexus 7 Files

yugendreams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenM View Post
Well, it's definitely not something that's supposed to be there - I just checked my tablet and it doesn't have that slight lump. The only thing it might possible interfere with would be headphones, and even then there's a really slim chance. Pop in some headphones and see if they work - if they do, there should be no other problems.
I just tested out the headphone jack and it works just fine. So basically it's just an aesthetic issue at this point.

Is it worth going through an exchange for though? Part of me feels as if it has this problem there is a chance it might have others.

Matrix_19
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugendreams View Post
I just tested out the headphone jack and it works just fine. So basically it's just an aesthetic issue at this point.

Is it worth going through an exchange for though? Part of me feels as if it has this problem there is a chance it might have others.
For another device I would tell you to get a new one.

But for this tablet...

If you can't find any other issue (dead pixels, random reboot, touchscreen issues grounded or not, etc) you should keep it. The next one could be OK aesthetically but have other problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

yugendreams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_19 View Post
For another device I would tell you to get a new one.

But for this tablet...

If you can't find any other issue (dead pixels, random reboot, touchscreen issues grounded or not, etc) you should keep it. The next one could be OK aesthetically but have other problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks man, that's a really good way to look at it. I just need to give it a nickname like "bumpy" and get over my aesthetic analness.

yugendreams
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Is there a good way to test if he multi-touch is buggy?

icharleslin
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yugendreams View Post
Is there a good way to test if he multi-touch is buggy?
"Yet Another MultiTouch Test" from the play store is a good way to test multi-touch.

Gorgtech
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 722
If the tablet is in a perfect electrical shape, I would simply keep it. Check the display for dead or stuck pixels, dirt or light bleeding ( though I donīt have anything against it ) and multitouch issues. If the device is usable, I would rather keep it and donīt bother about this dent. The guy who has opened the device before seems to have two left hands though...
Best regards, George

Fix for Samsung Galaxy S3 camera stopped working
Fix wake up lag on latest Samsung JB 4.3 Firmware
My toys: Nexus 7 2013 (flo) 32GB & Nexus 5 white 32GB

jtdc
Old
Thanks Meter 69
its evident that it may have been opened (not sure for what). but as mentioned above, if all works great, no issues at all, just use and enjoy it. other units have issues, and risky to get those to replace a perfectly good one (aside from that bump).
LG-D820 & ME571K on KOT49H
ST25i on Stock JellyBean 4.1.2 V6 lite
A1395 on iOS 7.0.4 | A1432 on iOS 7.0.2