5,605,187 Members 37,915 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Edition 9505G performs worse on 4.4?

Tip us?

The111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Default Google Edition 9505G performs worse on 4.4?

Does anybody else with a SGS4 GPe feel like it performs worse graphically on 4.4 than it did on 4.3? I don't have a lot of examples, but one thing that I noticed is the "page flipping" animation in the e-book reader CoolReader played fine in 4.3 but is not kind of choppy in 4.4. This specific animation to begin with is something which I assume would take very little resources, and which worked fine not only in 4.3 but also even on older lesser phones altogether.

oldblue910
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2010

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by The111 View Post
Does anybody else with a SGS4 GPe feel like it performs worse graphically on 4.4 than it did on 4.3? I don't have a lot of examples, but one thing that I noticed is the "page flipping" animation in the e-book reader CoolReader played fine in 4.3 but is not kind of choppy in 4.4. This specific animation to begin with is something which I assume would take very little resources, and which worked fine not only in 4.3 but also even on older lesser phones altogether.
Sounds like a problem with the app to me, honestly. Speaking personally, KitKat runs great on my 9505G.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
XDA's Resident Archivist-in-Chief
Every OTA update for every Nexus and Google Experience device since the Motorola Droid at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware.

Model:
Carrier:
ROM:
Radio:
Bootloader:

Samsung Galaxy S5
SM-G900T
T-Mobile
kltetmo 4.4.2/KOT49H
G900TUVU1ANCH
G900TUVU1ANCH

Google Nexus 7
ME571KL
Verizon
razorg 4.4.2 / KVT49L
H00_2.42.0_1204

Google Nexus 10
GT-P8110
N/A
mantaray 4.4.2 / KOT49H
N/A
MANTAMF01

Other toys:

Sony Z Ultra GPE
Motorola Moto G GPE
The Following User Says Thank You to oldblue910 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The111
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue910 View Post
Sounds like a problem with the app to me, honestly. Speaking personally, KitKat runs great on my 9505G
That's very possible. The app has been acting funky in other ways lately... crashing sometimes even. I haven't used my phone for much else since upgrading, so hopefully you're right and it's limited to that app. Thanks.

jaykresge
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Did you factory reset? I always recommend a FR after a major Android release. I kept 4.2, but didn't FR after the 4.3 or 66Y updates. I did so after Kitkat and it positively screems.

I also used ART from the get-go for about 48 hours, the switched to DALVIK for about 48 hours. I've switched back to ART permanently. It makes a subtle yet appreciable difference at this point.

toastido
Old
Thanks Meter 83

DONATE TO ME
No issues here. I will say ART vs Dalvik does make a huge speed difference, though. I ran ART out of the gate, but am back on Dalvik for now due to some issues with certain apps and ART that will hopefully be fixed in 4.4.1.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk