5,606,722 Members 37,536 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is it possible to read visual novels on Nook Simple Touch?

Tip us?

Rekesz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Is it possible to read visual novels on Nook Simple Touch?

I'm going to buy a Nook Simple Touch in a month's time and I really love how better software can be hacked onto the device. I would just like to ask if there is any way to read translated japanese visual novels on the Nook Simple Touch. I'm asking this because they are programs created for Windows. Or would this be the same as trying to run Windows apps on Linux?

lekofraggle
Old
Thanks Meter 75
That is a good question. I know you cannot run windows apps. Even java applets will probably not work. However, there are other comic viewers and they may be able to display your manga.

I have not yet rooted, so I thought I would try my Barnes and noble books.

Vampire hunter d works okay, but it to s zoomed odd and you cannot zoom in per frame.

Death note (which is a nook comic) will not load on the stock reader.

Good luck.

~Leko

Go forth and work toward your salvation with diligence.
The Following User Says Thank You to lekofraggle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rekesz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thank you for the quick answer, but I wasn't actually thinking of manga. I heard about Perfect viewer, which is said to be a great app for comics, but I was actually thinking of visual novels. I asked this question because I know that yo need to run a .exe file to "read" these, so I was hoping that there was possibly some way that I could convert these into a format that the nook could run.

lekofraggle
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Oh, I now get it. Okay. So then bad news is that some visual novels don't just need supporting exe files, they are programs in and of themselves. So, there are two ways to run them on android.

Buy them from the market or amazon (I had a few a while ago but I do not remember what they were.

Take yours and port them.

The latter is going to be difficult and beyond my expertise.

However, after some research, I found this thread.

http://forums.fuwanovel.org/index.ph...vel-on-the-go/

The app is still in the market and it is only 1.99 in the US.

In order to run an app on the nst, a few conditions need to be met...

You need to root.
The app needs to be made for SDK 7 which is pretty old, but there are sometimes ways around that involving tricking the app to think it needs a lower SDK.
You the app needs to be compatible with the nst hardware.

After you root, I suggest you try. good luck. The Net that I ordered does not have working touch so I am awaiting my replacement.

~Leko

Go forth and work toward your salvation with diligence.

Rekesz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Holy frak, I actually started this to confirm my fear that it is impossible. And I actually bought this app a long time ago, but it was rather uncomfortable on my galaxy mini. I'm grateful for this, thank you very much!