XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kindle Fire 1st gen refuses to boot past FFF

Tip us?

freyp2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Kindle Fire 1st gen refuses to boot past FFF

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help or advice. I have a 1st gen Kindle Fire. When I received it, it had the stock bootloader installed and appeared to be stuck in fastboot mode. I performed the following steps:

1. used a factory cable to get access to fastboot
2. used soupkit (in Unbuntu 10.10) to flash FFF 1.4a and TWRP 2.2.2.1. Both flashed successfully.
3. turned the Kindle off (holding power for 20 secs)
4. switched over to a normal USB cable
5. powered up and issued 'fastboot getvar product' to stop FFF in fastboot
6. ran 'fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000' to reset to normal bootmode
7. 'fastboot reboot'
8. in FFF chose recovery (power led turned orange and FFF says booting)
9. stuck

I've tried reflashing FFF and TWRP several times, redownloaded and check MD5 (all ok). No matter what I do it seems this KF refuses to move past the bootloader.Any help or ideas? Thanks for your time.

Scoobio
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by freyp2 View Post
Hi all, I'm hoping to get some help or advice. I have a 1st gen Kindle Fire. When I received it, it had the stock bootloader installed and appeared to be stuck in fastboot mode. I performed the following steps:

1. used a factory cable to get access to fastboot
2. used soupkit (in Unbuntu 10.10) to flash FFF 1.4a and TWRP 2.2.2.1. Both flashed successfully.
3. turned the Kindle off (holding power for 20 secs)
4. switched over to a normal USB cable
5. powered up and issued 'fastboot getvar product' to stop FFF in fastboot
6. ran 'fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000' to reset to normal bootmode
7. 'fastboot reboot'
8. in FFF chose recovery (power led turned orange and FFF says booting)
9. stuck

I've tried reflashing FFF and TWRP several times, redownloaded and check MD5 (all ok). No matter what I do it seems this KF refuses to move past the bootloader.Any help or ideas? Thanks for your time.
Maybe try different versions of FFF and/or TWRP? You can also try the KFU tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1399889

freyp2
Old
(Last edited by freyp2; 7th December 2013 at 06:40 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default still perplexed

Thanks Scoobio, I did try that too. So far I have successfully installed 3 versions of bootloader (FFF 1.4a, FFF with yellow triangle, and also stock from Amazon). All three install successfully. Unfortunately all three have the same symptoms. I am able to execute fastboot commands to flash images, getvar, etc, etc, and they complete successfully. However anytime I "ask" or "let" the bootloader try to boot system or recovery it hangs. FFF 1.4a hangs, previous "yellow triangle" version of FFF hangs, stock also hangs - always at the same point. The screen never flashes like it does when the recovery or kernel first loads. So I don't think its making it that far.

I've tried with factory cable, regular usb, no usb at all. Always hangs on boot. I also tried running KFU in Windows (same problems), SoupKit (same problems), and FireKit (same problems). Last thing I tried was usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp. It also ran successfully but still same problem.

At this point I don't care so much about fixing the kindle as much as solving the riddle. I'd like to figure this out just so I know...you know I can't let the machine win. So I'm wondering if it could be bad memory blocks or something else missing...will update if i discover anything further. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Oh and...I am able to reset bootmode back to normal or recovery or fastboot...always completes the command successfully but never makes a difference.