5,599,478 Members 39,810 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need help with proper way to update.

Tip us?

Nizzoball
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Need help with proper way to update.

I have been searching both here and other forums looking for guidance on this issue. I have MF3 rooted and i would like to upgrade to 4.3. When i rooted i got a little delete happy and bkew out a lot of packages instead of freezing them as i should (i didnt have Titanium Pro, i do now) . I honestly can't remember everything i blew out but i know my phone runs a lot better without them. My issue is the OTA fails when i try to install it and with all of the issues ive read about MF3 I dont know how i should proceed. Do i need to flash back to stick MF3 with Odin? Can i factory reset, root, update and hope survival mode works?

I know this makes me look like a complete toolbag but hey, i screwed up and need a little help.

Thank you

Tremulant1
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzoball View Post
I have been searching both here and other forums looking for guidance on this issue. I have MF3 rooted and i would like to upgrade to 4.3. When i rooted i got a little delete happy and bkew out a lot of packages instead of freezing them as i should (i didnt have Titanium Pro, i do now) . I honestly can't remember everything i blew out but i know my phone runs a lot better without them. My issue is the OTA fails when i try to install it and with all of the issues ive read about MF3 I dont know how i should proceed. Do i need to flash back to stick MF3 with Odin? Can i factory reset, root, update and hope survival mode works?

I know this makes me look like a complete toolbag but hey, i screwed up and need a little help.

Thank you
Use the ODIN MF3 files....ODIN your phone back to stock. This is what I did. I also rooted MF3 via SDCard method....restored my phone to how i want it. Used Supersu to do full unroot, then go to OTA update and wait 5+ hours to download the 727 mb file from the horrible AT&T servers, then install update.

Instead of "unrooting" you can try survival mode which has been said to keep root for some, but not for others.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tremulant1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Nizzoball
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremulant1 View Post
Use the ODIN MF3 files....ODIN your phone back to stock. This is what I did. I also rooted MF3 via SDCard method....restored my phone to how i want it. Used Supersu to do full unroot, then go to OTA update and wait 5+ hours to download the 727 mb file from the horrible AT&T servers, then install update.

Instead of "unrooting" you can try survival mode which has been said to keep root for some, but not for others.

Good luck!
Thank you. Thats the method i was looking into but i was hoping there was an easier way. I've never used odin on any of my phones but i'll give it a shot. I appreciate your feedback.

JCrawMil
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default rooted with update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzoball View Post

Thank you
I was also stock rooted with MF3 and i used SuperSU survival mode to keep root after the update ... but i wasn't getting the OTA so I did a sideload of the update.

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 23813

DONATE TO ME
Questions and Help issues go in Q&A and Help section
Thread moved
Thanks
FNSM

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

bigube
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrawMil View Post
I was also stock rooted with MF3 and i used SuperSU survival mode to keep root after the update ... but i wasn't getting the OTA so I did a sideload of the update.
How did you sideload? Ext. SD Card or ADB.

brobinson2102
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigube View Post
ADB sideload pushes the package from your laptop to your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Don't Panic! [I337+Rooted]

JCrawMil
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigube View Post
I did an ADB sideload