5,598,718 Members 37,899 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do you NEED to use the stock cable for USB?

Tip us?

Zexaal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Do you NEED to use the stock cable for USB?

So I got my Droid 3 in the mail and it came with a wall charger and a phone charger, but no micro USB cable. Didn't think it would be a problem as I have a micro USB cord from my LG. However, it doesn't want to go into USB mode, just the "charging" mode. I've seen it stated in a few places that I NEED to use motorola's brand. Is that true?

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexaal View Post
So I got my Droid 3 in the mail and it came with a wall charger and a phone charger, but no micro USB cable. Didn't think it would be a problem as I have a micro USB cord from my LG. However, it doesn't want to go into USB mode, just the "charging" mode. I've seen it stated in a few places that I NEED to use motorola's brand. Is that true?
No, I use an Amazon Kindle cable all of the time. I'd just try another cable.

Did you install Moto's drivers (assuming you are on Windows?) I use Macs, which don't need drivers, so maybe that's it?

Zexaal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogald View Post
No, I use an Amazon Kindle cable all of the time. I'd just try another cable.

Did you install Moto's drivers (assuming you are on Windows?) I use Macs, which don't need drivers, so maybe that's it?
Yeah, I have the latest drivers installed. I tried another cable and got the same thing....thing is, they're both LG and I've heard a few stories where those can be good enough for charging but not for data.

I'll try buying another cable and seeing what happens.

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 947
Just because you installed drivers, doesn't mean they installed correctly. With phone connected open device manager and check for a device with a yellow triangle.

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can
Always in motion is the future

MrObvious
Old
Thanks Meter 250
Actually yes Motorola switched a couple wires around so you have to buy their cables. Stupid I know.

Sent from my DROID3 using xda app-developers app

sd_shadow
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 947
motorola didn't switch anything around, I've used lg usb data cables and other brands to flash several moto devices and it works fine.
more likely a divers issue

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

a poor quality usb data cable can cause issues
No support via PM! Please ask in a public thread, that's what the forums are for.
Notify me by Posting @sd_shadow in thread I'll help you as much as I can
Always in motion is the future

Zexaal
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shadow View Post
motorola didn't switch anything around, I've used lg usb data cables and other brands to flash several moto devices and it works fine.
more likely a divers issue

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

a poor quality usb data cable can cause issues
I reinstalled the drivers and nothing happened. I checked the device manager and there were no conflicts. I went out and bought a duracell cable and it saw it without any issue. So it was the cable. Maybe it's an LG thing I guess as both of the previous cables I had were LG.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zexaal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]