Lightbleeding

Search This thread

ozricb7

Apr 7, 2011
Sending back Note due to lightbleed

Hello

I also have a Note with some lightbleed on the bottom left. Really unsure if I should get a replacement. Did anyone else who has lightbleed get their Note replaced, and did you get a better one without lightbleed?

Thanks.

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
I just got my replacement, as my original one had a single dead pixel which was annoying me lol. The old one did have light bleed along the bottom edge, but it was only noticeable when I had the light-bleed test app running (black screen 100% brightness) so it wasnt a big deal.

The new one also has the same light bleed along the bottom edge, several small points of light. But again, its not obvious in any app, and is only really visible on high brightness and a black screen. Its certainly a lot less annoying than the dead pixel was.

I tested it by opening the camera app (as someone said their light bleed was annoying in that) but I cant see the light bleed in that as it isnt black screen/max brightness.

I think ill put up with it for a few days and see if it is noticeable during normal usage. If its not, then it doesn't matter.

Edit: I uploaded a photo of my screen. Ignore the big bright patch in the upper-left, thats just an effect of the photo. The lightbleed are the spots along the bottom and the couple on the right hand side.
This is on the lightbleed test, so total black screen and 100% brightness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geordie Affy

reubenskelly1992

Nov 24, 2013
I just got my replacement, as my original one had a single dead pixel which was annoying me lol. The old one did have light bleed along the bottom edge, but it was only noticeable when I had the light-bleed test app running (black screen 100% brightness) so it wasnt a big deal.

The new one also has the same light bleed along the bottom edge, several small points of light. But again, its not obvious in any app, and is only really visible on high brightness and a black screen. Its certainly a lot less annoying than the dead pixel was.

I tested it by opening the camera app (as someone said their light bleed was annoying in that) but I cant see the light bleed in that as it isnt black screen/max brightness.

I think ill put up with it for a few days and see if it is noticeable during normal usage. If its not, then it doesn't matter.

Edit: I uploaded a photo of my screen. Ignore the big bright patch in the upper-left, thats just an effect of the photo. The lightbleed are the spots along the bottom and the couple on the right hand side.

About the same on mine, this amount must be average on these devices, doesn't bother me

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Peeodee

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
That picture of the lightbleed is absolutely identical to my device too - bit on the bottom and bit on the right hand side.

it did annoy me briefly, as i compared it to my original 10.1 which seemed to have less lightbleed... but then i noticed that the screen colouring and definition is so much nicer on the new one lol, and im not in sketchbook pro colouring a picture and i cant even see the lightbleed when i look for it.

I think this will do nicely.

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
it did annoy me briefly, as i compared it to my original 10.1 which seemed to have less lightbleed... but then i noticed that the screen colouring and definition is so much nicer on the new one lol, and im not in sketchbook pro colouring a picture and i cant even see the lightbleed when i look for it.

I think this will do nicely.

Aye exactly, just having the "issues" we have is a bonus by the sounds of it haha, I have no intentions of getting a return currently.

Literally the only time I notice it is when I watch a film/tv show due to the black bars that run along the top and bottom of the screen but it doesn't affect the actual content but I do keep looking at it LOL but I'm sure that will stop soon....I hope! :laugh:

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
Aye exactly, just having the "issues" we have is a bonus by the sounds of it haha, I have no intentions of getting a return currently.

Literally the only time I notice it is when I watch a film/tv show due to the black bars that run along the top and bottom of the screen but it doesn't affect the actual content but I do keep looking at it LOL but I'm sure that will stop soon....I hope! :laugh:

I havent tried it with a film yet, I think I'll do that now. I dont see it being too bad an issue though cos I wouldnt play a film on 100 brightness.... I usually have mine set to about 15% lol

Edit:
I tested it, and if I was sitting in a totally drak room and ramped the brightness up, I can make out the glow along the bottom... just about. But in my room with the lamp on, the glare from the reflective screen is much more noticable.

Either way, I think its good. I dont seem to have a rattley speaker grill either, so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Geordie Affy

Oct 21, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I havent tried it with a film yet, I think I'll do that now. I dont see it being too bad an issue though cos I wouldnt play a film on 100 brightness.... I usually have mine set to about 15% lol

Edit:
I tested it, and if I was sitting in a totally drak room and ramped the brightness up, I can make out the glow along the bottom... just about. But in my room with the lamp on, the glare from the reflective screen is much more noticable.

Either way, I think its good. I dont seem to have a rattley speaker grill either, so fingers crossed.

I swear down its the same for me - lamp on mid setting and watch a movie on 15%ish brightness - it hurts my eyes anything more. I think I have sensitive eyes but I guess it works in my favour since it saves battery life lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peeodee

inolvidable

Mar 17, 2013
It took me a total of four replacements from two different shops to get a Note 10.1 2014 without significant bleeding. This one has also no dead pixels. On the other hand it produces uneven whites, with an slight (but noticeable) yellow tint over the bottom edge which progressively turns into a much colder white towards the upper edge.
I am keeping this one because the number of replacements needed to get a good (not perfect, just good enough) screen could be insane.

IMHO this quality issues are unacceptable at this price range

iiSo say we all!! from my SM-P6OO

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol

Assuming that the big areas of light are because of the camera (I know it was in mine, it was hard to take a photo that didnt end up with big blobs of light) then that looks fairly standard. Downside of an LCD screen really. If you cant notice it during normal usage, I wouldnt worry.

Edit: By the time I wrote this, Geordie had already answered it lol. But I agree anyway :)

It took me a total of four replacements from two different shops to get a Note 10.1 2014 without significant bleeding. This one has also no dead pixels. On the other hand it produces uneven whites, with an slight (but noticeable) yellow tint over the bottom edge which progressively turns into a much colder white towards the upper edge.
I am keeping this one because the number of replacements needed to get a good (not perfect, just good enough) screen could be insane.

IMHO this quality issues are unacceptable at this price range

What do you call "significant bleeding"? Did all of your original 4 have bleeding that you could notice on 30% brightness on a standard home screen? Or do you mean you could see small spots of light on 100% brightness on a black screen, like what seems to be usual for this device?

inolvidable

Mar 17, 2013
Assuming that the big areas of light are because of the camera (I know it was in mine, it was hard to take a photo that didnt end up with big blobs of light) then that looks fairly standard. Downside of an LCD screen really. If you cant notice it during normal usage, I wouldnt worry.

Edit: By the time I wrote this, Geordie had already answered it lol. But I agree anyway :)

What do you call "significant bleeding"? Did all of your original 4 have bleeding that you could notice on 30% brightness on a standard home screen? Or do you mean you could see small spots of light on 100% brightness on a black screen, like what seems to be usual for this device?

Fair enough. I mean I could see at least one area of white light and slightly coloured lines (in red, green and blue mostly) with a 1-3 centimetre diameter basis right over the bottom edge, stretching 3-6 centimetres towards the center of the screen, fully and clearly visible at any brightness level (the higher the worse) while I am watching a movie, Youtube etc... so, over black background. It was not that obvious over a colour different from black or gray, but you could definitely notice .
I am not talking here about those leaks along the bottom or lateral edges you can only see with a 100% brightness over a black image that go unnoticed with auto brightness in a dark room.

I don't have any kind of leak at all right now. I could bear the latter but never the former

Reactions: 30Seconds

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
Fair enough. I mean I could see at least one area of white light and slightly coloured lines (in red, green and blue mostly) with a 1-3 centimetre diameter basis right over the bottom edge, stretching 3-6 centimetres towards the center of the screen, fully and clearly visible at any brightness level (the higher the worse) while I am watching a movie, Youtube etc... so, over black background. It was not that obvious over a colour different from black or gray, but you could definitely notice .
I am not talking here about those leaks along the bottom or lateral edges you can only see with a 100% brightness over a black image that go unnoticed with auto brightness in a dark room.

I don't have any kind of leak at all right now. I could bear the latter but never the former

So you dont even get the little leaks along the bottom edge on 100%/Black screen? Damn, now I'm considering a replacement again haha

inolvidable

Mar 17, 2013
So you dont even get the little leaks along the bottom edge on 100%/Black screen? Damn, now I'm considering a replacement again haha

On those extreme conditions I can see a mild uniform glow along the bottom edge which does not distract me as it is uniform and barely noticeable (if you pay insane attention you can see it is not perfectly uniform, but you get the point) and a couple of very very slight leaks on the right side .
IMHO if your bleeding is not bad and it is only noticeable on extreme conditions I would not risk a replacement because you could get a really bad unit. For what I have seen it is unlikely that you get a decent screen, at least here in Europe

nirurin

Nov 25, 2012
Bristol
On those extreme conditions I can see a mild uniform glow along the bottom edge which does not distract me as it is uniform and barely noticeable (if you pay insane attention you can see it is not perfectly uniform, but you get the point) and a couple of very very slight leaks on the right side .
IMHO if your bleeding is not bad and it is only noticeable on extreme conditions I would not risk a replacement because you could get a really bad unit. For what I have seen it is unlikely that you get a decent screen, at least here in Europe

Ahh fair enough, I mean mine is definite spots of light but again, not a distraction during any sort of normal usage.

Unless something else crops up (eg. the dead pixel I had on my last one) I will keep this one.

dcrjay

Account currently disabled
Dec 15, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Same level of light bleeding on bottom screen and a little at top right. Gets annoying while watching movies but doesn't affect anything else. My old nexus 7 and prime has zero light bleeding. Not sure if I'm going to return it for a replacement because it seems like the majority of these have this issue.

30Seconds

Jul 25, 2012
After looking at the pictures in this thread I would say mine is better than most, and I had planned on returning it. I am now pretty certain I won't find another one with a better build, at least not yet.

I have a Nexus 7 and an IPad which are both perfect, so after spending $600 I would hope this tablet is the same way.

If my computer monitor had this amount of bleed when I had bought it I would have returned it immediately.

XGrzesX

Dec 8, 2007
Below are photes with my 3rd Galaxy Note 10 2014. All photos are made in dark room with black wallpaper.

Setting Auto brightness
ymlc.jpg

Setting brightess 50%
g9tn.jpg

Setting brightness 100%
tizf.JPG

is it bad? Should I replace?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm on MJ6..........why am I getting no more updates?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Coz the latest update hasnt been released yet in the UK.

About the same on mine, this amount must be average on these devices, doesn't bother me

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Edit:

I swear down its the same for me - lamp on mid setting and watch a movie on 15%ish brightness - it hurts my eyes anything more. I think I have sensitive eyes but I guess it works in my favour since it saves battery life lol.