5,594,221 Members 45,957 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast and Virtual Routers. Any luck?

Tip us?

RRtexasranger
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Chromecast and Virtual Routers. Any luck?

I got my brother a Chromecast for Christmas, and it will work fine while he's at home, but I'd really want to help find him a way to use it while he's at college. His university uses a WPA2-Enterprise network, and I've read that the Chromecast doesn't work with those.

Would something like VirtualRouterPlus allow him to use the Chromecast while at school? I realize that it may not be the fastest or most secure method, but I figure it's better than nothing...

nano351
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Does it support multicast? If it can handle that, then Chromecast should work on it

tony yayo
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRtexasranger View Post
I got my brother a Chromecast for Christmas, and it will work fine while he's at home, but I'd really want to help find him a way to use it while he's at college. His university uses a WPA2-Enterprise network, and I've read that the Chromecast doesn't work with those.

Would something like VirtualRouterPlus allow him to use the Chromecast while at school? I realize that it may not be the fastest or most secure method, but I figure it's better than nothing...
I'm curious about this too. My router is all the way on the opposite side of the house from my bedroom TV and the Chromecast won't work there. Trying to find a way to stream from my phone, maybe using my tablet as the router?

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony yayo View Post
I'm curious about this too. My router is all the way on the opposite side of the house from my bedroom TV and the Chromecast won't work there. Trying to find a way to stream from my phone, maybe using my tablet as the router?
That seems a bit overcomplicated. I'd just get a wireless range extender.

Or if your router allows adjusting the signal power, increase it slowly until you get reasonable signal.

Or the cheapest solution, though not always feasible - relocate the router.

PwnCakes193
Old
Thanks Meter 5375

DONATE TO ME
I use Connectify at my University and it works perfectly!

RRtexasranger
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwnCakes193 View Post
I use Connectify at my University and it works perfectly!
That's good to hear. Hopefully his network is configured to where he can use a similar process.