5,597,501 Members 31,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 tookit won't restore app backup

Tip us?

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 7th December 2013 at 06:26 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Default Nexus 7 tookit won't restore app backup

I did a backup of my applications on my Nexus 7 (2012) running 4.3. I also backed up the data partition itself.

I then upgraded to the latest KitKat and when I attempt to restore the application backup (which is a tar file), it quits without restoring and doesn't give an error.

Here is what I attempt to do:

1. First, I ensured that the boot image was insecure, just to be safe, but either boot image doesn't work.
2. When I choose to restore the app data backup, I enter the name of the backup (which is a tar file).
3. I then acknowledge the prompts on my tablet to allow the restore. There is no password on the backup.
4. The toolkit then states it's restoring the backup. But then, within about 10 to 15 seconds, it goes back to the menu.

Here is a logcat I took of the restore attempt. Any ideas on why it's giving me the error message it does? It says it's not running with encryption so it aborts. I never encrypted the backup, so I have no idea why I'm getting this error message from the toolkit.

All the software is up-to-date.

I/BackupManagerService( 499): --- Performing full-dataset restore ---
I/BackupManagerService( 499): Initiating bind of OBB service on com.android.server.BackupManagerService$FullBackup ObbCo
nnection@429346c8
W/ContextImpl( 499): Calling a method in the system process without a qualified user: android.app.ContextImpl.bindServi
ce:1543 com.android.server.BackupManagerService$FullBackup ObbConnection.establish:2370 com.android.server.BackupManagerS
ervice$PerformFullRestoreTask.run:3146 java.lang.Thread.run:841 <bottom of call stack>
I/BackupManagerService( 499): OBB service connection com.android.internal.backup.IObbBackupService$Stub $Proxy@423aa8e8
connected on com.android.server.BackupManagerService$FullBackup ObbConnection@429346c8
E/Cryptfs ( 122): not running with encryption, aborting
W/BackupManagerService( 499): Didn't read the right header magic
W/BackupManagerService( 499): Invalid restore data; aborting.
I/BackupManagerService( 499): Full restore processing complete.
D/bu ( 2751): Finished.
D/AndroidRuntime( 2751): Shutting down VM
D/dalvikvm( 2751): GC_CONCURRENT freed 94K, 16% free 553K/652K, paused 1ms+0ms, total 4ms
D/BackupManagerService( 499): Full restore pass complete.
D/dalvikvm( 499): GC_CONCURRENT freed 2174K, 14% free 16521K/19076K, paused 3ms+31ms, total 189ms
D/dalvikvm( 499): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 24ms
D/dalvikvm( 499): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 19ms
W/IInputConnectionWrapper( 2117): showStatusIcon on inactive InputConnection
D/dalvikvm( 1582): GC_CONCURRENT freed 454K, 6% free 8952K/9512K, paused 13ms+3ms, total 66ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 15ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 19ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): GC_CONCURRENT freed 371K, 5% free 9082K/9512K, paused 17ms+7ms, total 60ms
I/Velvet.VelvetFactory( 1582): refreshing search history.
D/dalvikvm( 1582): GC_CONCURRENT freed 388K, 5% free 9204K/9628K, paused 5ms+3ms, total 38ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 10ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 11ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 10ms
I/ActivityManager( 499): Start proc com.google.android.partnersetup for content provider com.google.android.partnersetu
p/.RlzAppProvider: pid=2824 uid=10011 gids={50011, 3003}
I/Sidekick_TrainingQuestionManagerImpl( 1582): updateFromServerResponse: no new training mode data and no pending answer
ed questions to clear
D/dalvikvm( 1582): GC_CONCURRENT freed 491K, 6% free 9132K/9660K, paused 4ms+2ms, total 30ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): GC_CONCURRENT freed 391K, 6% free 9148K/9680K, paused 3ms+2ms, total 25ms
D/dalvikvm( 1582): WAIT_FOR_CONCURRENT_GC blocked 20ms
I/ActivityManager( 499): Killing 1881:com.google.android.apps.plus/u0a67 (adj 15): empty for 1832s
D/dalvikvm( 862): GC_FOR_ALLOC freed 245K, 6% free 8551K/9088K, paused 19ms, total 20ms
D/libgps ( 499): proxy_gps_inject_location()
D/dalvikvm( 862): GC_CONCURRENT freed 454K, 7% free 8535K/9088K, paused 3ms+2ms, total 30ms
I/GCoreUlr( 862): Successfully inserted location
I/GCoreUlr( 862): Not calling LocationReportingService, hasMoved: false, elapsed millis: 1878084, request: Tablet
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD (unlocked) running Eclipse
32gb Nexus 7

AndDiSa
Old
Thanks Meter 303
Not sure what's the reason, but looking at the log it seems to me as if there is a magic number written into the backup file which is checked on restore and probably there was a change between 4.3 and 4.4. One possibility would be going back to 4.3, restore the data / apps (if you do not have a full backup) and flash system.img and boot.img manually by fastboot. After that you should have a working 4.4 with all your apps and data recovered.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

1. Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100, CM-11-UNOFFICIAL-i9100 (ADS-build)

2. Phone: G1
Rom: IcedADS_Magpie Gingerbread (2.3.7) based on ezGingerbread and Firerat's magpie
Recovery: Amon RA-Dream-v1.7.0 (MTD:90/2/114, 1.33.0013)
Radio: 2.22.28.25 SPL: 1.33.0013d SD Card: 8GB Class 6 - ~7.2GB Fat32 / ~500MB Ext3

Nexus 7 (16GB), Android 4.4.2 (Rooted Stock)
Follow me on AndDiSa Android Blog.

Get 20 GB(!) of cloud space using copy.com

J-A-Y
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello,

I have the same / a similar issue:

App Restore after upgrading to Android 4.4 KitKat does not work.

I wanted to upgrade my Nexus 7 LTE from Android 4.3.1 to 4.4. Before I successfully made an backup of all of my User Apps and in addition a second backup of all User & System Apps with WugFresh's "Nexus Root Toolkit".

After upgrading to KitKat I tried to restore with the toolkit. The process was faster than expected - too fast for the amount of data. It was completed "successfully" without any error. BUT nothing was restored.

Device: Nexus 7 2013 LTE (DEB)
Initial ROM: Android 4.3.1 - Build JLS36I
New ROM: Android 4.4.0 - Build KRT16S
NRT version: 1.7.9

It would be great, if you have any idea, how I can get back the App Data.

Thx
Jay

iBolski
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDiSa View Post
Not sure what's the reason, but looking at the log it seems to me as if there is a magic number written into the backup file which is checked on restore and probably there was a change between 4.3 and 4.4. One possibility would be going back to 4.3, restore the data / apps (if you do not have a full backup) and flash system.img and boot.img manually by fastboot. After that you should have a working 4.4 with all your apps and data recovered.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it didn't work. Same results. Since it's a tar file, I'm thinking what I could do is flash the insecure boot image, and then extract the contents to my device.

Here's the issue I have. Not only did I backup the data partition, I also did a full backup of my internal storage, which I can restore. However, if I just install the internal storage, it creates directories that were placed there by the apps that are in my /data backup. With android, each app get's it's OWN "user account" under Linux/Android. That way, a rogue app cannot mess with it, in most cases. So what happens is, if I go ahead and install the internal storage backup and then try to reinstall the apps, they won't install because the directories they would place their data in are already created BUT are NOT owned by them, so basically, I'm getting a "can't download" error from Google play. In other words, the directories are owned by "root" but not by the app that previously was installed.

The other thing I'm going to try is I backed up all my apps with Titanium Backup, so I'll just copy those back to the internal drive, reinstall all the apps and then try to copy the rest of the internal storage back to the tablet.

The other issue I'm thinking is, could the backup have a something in it that was based off of my Nexus tablet? You see, my N7 took a dump about 2 weeks ago and I had it RMA'd, so I'm wondering if the backup won't work because it senses it's NOT the same machine that was backed up before?

I'm beginning to think that is the problem. ASUS replaced the entire motherboard, so my N7 has a whole new set of guts inside. It's not the original motherboard that I did the backup on.

Thanks!

32gb Nexus 7

AndDiSa
Old
(Last edited by AndDiSa; 7th December 2013 at 08:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 303
If you have a full backup, restore that backup and after that flash system.img and boot.img which you can extract from the Google Android 4.4 image file for the Nexus 7. That's all you have to do.

Rom: IcedADS_Magpie Gingerbread (2.3.7) based on ezGingerbread and Firerat's magpie
Radio: 2.22.28.25 SPL: 1.33.0013d SD Card: 8GB Class 6 - ~7.2GB Fat32 / ~500MB Ext3

nakedtruthishere
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
If you have a full backup, restore that backup and after that flash system.img and boot.img which you can extract from the Google Android 4.4 image file for the Nexus 7. That's all you have to do.

That's right, just follow the instructions I summarized in this little GUIDE http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2551117based on the information given by AndDiSa.

iBolski
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:

It's not a full backup. I have a backup of the internal/sd storage which restores fine. Then, I have a backup of the data partition which is in a tar file. That is what will not restore, giving me the errors about an invalid key. I can extract the tar file without an issue manually, but I can't get it to install via the Unified/N7 toolkit.

32gb Nexus 7

AndDiSa
Old
Thanks Meter 303
Restoring the data on 4.3 or 4.4 is failing?
If restoring on 4.3 already fails, then probably the backup is broken. Or did you have encrypted your data partition and you are trying to restore that now?

iBolski
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Quote:
Restoring the data on 4.3 or 4.4 is failing?
If restoring on 4.3 already fails, then probably the backup is broken. Or did you have encrypted your data partition and you are trying to restore that now?

I don't believe I encrypted the partition. I can untar the backup. I just don't know why it won't work.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD under an Eclipse.

32gb Nexus 7

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 8th December 2013 at 04:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 287
Here's another issue after restoring my SD card backup.

I can't delete any files or directories that were restored from the backup! Permissions are set correctly, but I cannot manipulate them. I've even tried using fix permission in TWRP and in ROM Manager, but nothing seems to work.

I can rename directories, but I cannot delete them. If I copy them and THEN I can delete the copied files. If I reboot into TWRP, I can delete the directories that way. Just not via Root Explorer or ES Explorer in root mode. Nor if I adb shell in and do "su -". I cannot manipulate the restored directories.

I have SU enabled but nothing seems to work. This only happens when I restore from SD card backup which was from a different motherboard.

This is SO confusing and aggravating. I think I'm going to have to wipe my SD card because I cannot delete any of the restored files.

32gb Nexus 7