5,595,815 Members 34,620 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will MK8 or MKE modems work on VZW S4?

Tip us?

TheCelt
Old
(Last edited by TheCelt; 7th December 2013 at 07:14 PM.) Reason: I can't spell.....
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Will MK8 or MKE modems work on VZW S4?

In my travels around the threads (here and other sites) I saw a signature for an individual with the SCH-I545 and the modem he had listed was MK8...... which is an international modem I believe. I didn't think anything of it at the time and now I can't seem to find that sig anywhere.

Just wondering this. Did some research and did not find anything solid. Speaking only of the modem... could one flash via Odin the modem.bin files from one of these builds MK8 or MKE? I would guess you would need to make sure it supports CDMA/LTE....

Anyone know for sure?

TIA

TheCelt
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
bump

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1237

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCelt View Post
In my travels around the threads (here and other sites) I saw a signature for an individual with the SCH-I545 and the modem he had listed was MK8...... which is an international modem I believe. I didn't think anything of it at the time and now I can't seem to find that sig anywhere.

Just wondering this. Did some research and did not find anything solid. Speaking only of the modem... could one flash via Odin the modem.bin files from one of these builds MK8 or MKE? I would guess you would need to make sure it supports CDMA/LTE....

Anyone know for sure?

TIA
I thought this had been asked and answered in another thread, but since you bumped

You've got the problem right. There's several models of the Galaxy S4. They cover different bands and use different modulation types.
I think the I545 has a different radio chip from other S4 models, but even if not, flashing non-CDMA modem firmware is going to break CDMA. Since Verizon is known to do nutty stuff like forcing SMS/MMS to go over CDMA even if LTE is active, who knows what will fail?
Worst case is that you'll brick the phone.

That being said, I don't think the bootloader would refuse to allow you to downgrade the modem firmware back to MJ7, so there's probably a way to recover if it doesn't go well. Notice "probably". Unless you think there's some real value in the MK8/MKE modem, I wouldn't risk it.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]