5,597,647 Members 33,204 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] give a noob advice on how to get into developing?

Tip us?

uknwimbeast
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] give a noob advice on how to get into developing?

this is my first time posting but i used this site a lot figure out how to root flash recoveries, custom ROMs ect for myself and a few friends. anyways sorry I know there are similar threads but I from seeing the cool stuff people make it got me interested in developing and I wanted some personal recomendations or feed back as apposed to something (maybe a website plus build kit???) I might be able to kinda "learn the basics" on? One thing though is that I only have a Samsung galaxy s2 and a CRAPPY old dell computer. I'd appreciate any feedback

Phpdna
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You don't need a device. You develop with the emulator. The Google Android sdk site is good to begin. Just read the beginners tutorial. 2 things: don't install Eclipse,it's not worth. Install Intellij Ide. It's also Java. Second, download the android sdk for other platforms and follow the instructions but install in c:\android-sdk folder at all costs. Don't install it somewhere deep in the tree. There are still a lot of Problems with the sdk. You need also Java Jdk from Oracle. Just follow the Google tutorial but install the android sdk in c:\android-sdk (name without space). I didn't try the emulator but you can ask again?

uknwimbeast
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phpdna View Post
You don't need a device. You develop with the emulator. The Google Android sdk site is good to begin. Just read the beginners tutorial. 2 things: don't install Eclipse,it's not worth. Install Intellij Ide. It's also Java. Second, download the android sdk for other platforms and follow the instructions but install in c:\android-sdk folder at all costs. Don't install it somewhere deep in the tree. There are still a lot of Problems with the sdk. You need also Java Jdk from Oracle. Just follow the Google tutorial but install the android sdk in c:\android-sdk (name without space). I didn't try the emulator but you can ask again?
Thanks. Are you referring to terminal emulator?
And when you said get the SDK for other platforms what do you mean just anything besides my galaxy s2?
I might realize what you mean when I get to it but what's the c:\ in c:\andriod-sdk

PradeepMurugan
Old
Thanks Meter 220

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phpdna View Post
how you can develop custom roms with emulator?

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknwimbeast View Post
this is my first time posting but i used this site a lot figure out how to root flash recoveries, custom ROMs ect for myself and a few friends. anyways sorry I know there are similar threads but I from seeing the cool stuff people make it got me interested in developing and I wanted some personal recomendations or feed back as apposed to something (maybe a website plus build kit???) I might be able to kinda "learn the basics" on? One thing though is that I only have a Samsung galaxy s2 and a CRAPPY old dell computer. I'd appreciate any feedback
if you want to develop roms from source you need ubuntu and lot of knowledge which is not possible for you now as per your post
so first learn some basic things and then start modding and theming rom using android kitchen
if you want to develop apps install android sdk and eclipse and develop with it

Phpdna
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepxtremehacker View Post
how you can develop custom roms with emulator?

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

if you want to develop roms from source you need ubuntu and lot of knowledge which is not possible for you now as per your post
so first learn some basic things and then start modding and theming rom using android kitchen
if you want to develop apps install android sdk and eclipse and develop with it
I agree with you but eclipse isn't worth it.

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknwimbeast View Post
Thanks. Are you referring to terminal emulator?
And when you said get the SDK for other platforms what do you mean just anything besides my galaxy s2?
I might realize what you mean when I get to it but what's the c:\ in c:\andriod-sdk
First, No, I mean Sdk not bundle with eclipse. Eclipse is free that's why it's bundled with android. But Google likes more Intellij or it will become the standard id.
Second: C:\ is C:\. I install it there. Important I thing is no space in name. Of course you are free to install it where you want.