XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

fastboot issues

Tip us?

ck4794
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default fastboot issues

i need some help. i just bought my htc one tonight, and of course the first thing i want to do after i turn it on is root. but i can't get fastboot to recognize it. i've reinstalled the drivers a few times, googled my heart out, and can't seem to come up with an answer.

now before a lynch mob starts, please, i'm very frustrated, and i'm fighting the urge to just throw the phone into the wall. (at this point i think it's the only thing i haven't tried).

i read somewhere about firmware and windows 8.1 (which i'm on). my phone is still on 4.1.2. i think i read 4.3 is the only one that works with windows 8.1. but there are no updates available to me.

i greatly appreciate any help here. it's such a let down to get a shiny new phone, and being stuck... once i figure out the fastboot problem i should be good to go. i want to say i had this problem a while back with my htc one x, but it was so long ago i don't remember how i fixed it. in the middle there i switched to the s3 and that rooted without a hitch.

ck4794
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
i don't know what i did but the phone magically decided now it wants to do the att update, it's downloading pretty slow but i'll see what happens.

GalaxyUser50
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck4794 View Post
i need some help. i just bought my htc one tonight, and of course the first thing i want to do after i turn it on is root. but i can't get fastboot to recognize it. i've reinstalled the drivers a few times, googled my heart out, and can't seem to come up with an answer.

now before a lynch mob starts, please, i'm very frustrated, and i'm fighting the urge to just throw the phone into the wall. (at this point i think it's the only thing i haven't tried).

i read somewhere about firmware and windows 8.1 (which i'm on). my phone is still on 4.1.2. i think i read 4.3 is the only one that works with windows 8.1. but there are no updates available to me.

i greatly appreciate any help here. it's such a let down to get a shiny new phone, and being stuck... once i figure out the fastboot problem i should be good to go. i want to say i had this problem a while back with my htc one x, but it was so long ago i don't remember how i fixed it. in the middle there i switched to the s3 and that rooted without a hitch.
Im sure you did this, but did you make sure in HBOOT its highlighted in red "FASTBOOT USB"? And you are in the platform tools folder of the android sdk? How about ADB? Does "adb devices" (Without quotations) work?

Let me know.

ck4794
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyUser50 View Post
Im sure you did this, but did you make sure in HBOOT its highlighted in red "FASTBOOT USB"? And you are in the platform tools folder of the android sdk? How about ADB? Does "adb devices" (Without quotations) work?

Let me know.
i haven't gotten there yet. still trying to do the update. for some reason i can only download 10 or 15 mb at a time. it seems like it's timing out, maybe losing connection. after a restart it downloads for a while again. so basically it's going to be a loooong night to get this update done. and some prayer that the update is not corrupted.

GalaxyUser50
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
i haven't gotten there yet. still trying to do the update. for some reason i can only download 10 or 15 mb at a time. it seems like it's timing out, maybe losing connection. after a restart it downloads for a while again. so basically it's going to be a loooong night to get this update done. and some prayer that the update is not corrupted.
Are you trying this on wifi or data?

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 647

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
you need to s-off your phone before taking that update !!!
and you need a windows 8 or windows 7 PC ... you'll never get fastboot on windows 8.1 and hboot 1.44.000 might as well give up on that.
HTC One 32 GB AT&T (S-off, Unlocked, Rooted)
Please help keep www.htc1guru.com Alive and Donate

ck4794
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
you need to s-off your phone before taking that update !!!
and you need a windows 8 or windows 7 PC ... you'll never get fastboot on windows 8.1 and hboot 1.44.000 might as well give up on that.
no that seemed to do the trick. installed the update this morning. the phone is now on 4.3 and fastboot works just fine.

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 647

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
no that seemed to do the trick. installed the update this morning. the phone is now on 4.3 and fastboot works just fine.
ok good ...try rumrunner if you want s-off

ck4794
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
ok good ...try rumrunner if you want s-off
thanks. it's been a hot minute since i've had an htc phone, can you remind me why i would want s-off after i already have the device rooted?

clsA
Old
Thanks Meter 647

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
thanks. it's been a hot minute since i've had an htc phone, can you remind me why i would want s-off after i already have the device rooted?
This pretty well sums it up

Quote:
S-OFF – What And Why?

In their devices, HTC have installed a sort of security check whose level is determined by S-OFF/S-ON. Essentially, this security level is a flag stored on the device’s radio that checks signature images for any firmware before it is allowed to be written to system memory. This hinders using any custom ROMs, splash images, recovery etc., and also restricts access to the NAND flash memory. However, when security level is set to S-OFF, the signature check is bypassed, allowing a user to upload custom firmware images, unsigned boot, recovery, splash and HBOOT images, as well as official firmware that has been modified, this enabling maximum customization of your HTC Android device.

Furthermore, S-OFF also reduces restrictions on accessing the NAND flash memory on the device, allowing all partitions (including /system) to be mounted in write mode while the operating system is booted.

Source: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/...voked-forever/