5,597,449 Members 31,036 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle Fire HD (8.4.6) 2nd Bootloader/Custom ROM Install.

Tip us?

Timmzy89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
That's odd, it shouldn't have said it wasn't a 64bit driver, lemme check the inf and make sure I put the driver in the 64bit section for 8.9" models because I thought I did. Usually the only error message people get is on windows 8 from the stupid signed driver enforcement that they added.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Okay mate, sure. When I can get back on the laptop in a bit ill tell you the exact message. Just popped out briefly so cant atm.

Timmzy89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems"

It is more than possible I am doing something wrong though or selecting a wrong option somewhere. If you cannot find any problems with it, if you could let me know at what point I need to install the driver and a step by step of what I need to do to install it would be absolutely fantastic.

Timmzy89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
That's odd, it shouldn't have said it wasn't a 64bit driver, lemme check the inf and make sure I put the driver in the 64bit section for 8.9" models because I thought I did. Usually the only error message people get is on windows 8 from the stupid signed driver enforcement that they added.

edit: ok i double checked my driver, they do have the 8.9" model in the 64 bit section, i have no idea why you would be getting that error. Maybe try it on another pc?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
Okay mate, You have been more than helpful already, but would it be at all possible for you to break down what I have to do a little more:

1. Open up fastboot

2. Type the command you gave above (fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product).

3. When it says "Waiting for Device", plug the kindle in via USB.

4. Quickly Install Driver (How?) I think I must be doing something wrong here at this point. (I am using Windows 7)

5. Once driver installed and booted into fastboot, use KFFA/my own back up to restore.

If you could tell me what to do at the install the driver quickly phase that would be fantastic...

thanks again

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
Basically you open the device manager and look for a jem device to appear and right click it, hit update driver, and point it to the directory where you extracted my drivers. If it still gives you issues after doing that, right click the jem device and hit properties, goto details tab, and select hardware id's from the drop down list and tell me what your device says.

My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Timmzy89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Basically you open the device manager and look for a jem device to appear and right click it, hit update driver, and point it to the directory where you extracted my drivers. If it still gives you issues after doing that, right click the jem device and hit properties, goto details tab, and select hardware id's from the drop down list and tell me what your device says.

Ah so it's not a bad thing for it to be named Jem Device?

Okay great, Driver installed. Kindle Fire HD on Fastboot mode screen.

Am downloading KFFirstAide100.zip from here; http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2096888

Can you please confirm this is the version of KFFA you were referring to?

Thanks mate you really have been a life saver so far!

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
Yes it is I believe that is the right version. Go for it. Just do a system restore and tell it no when it asks if you want to put it in fastboot since it already is.

My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE

The Following User Says Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Timmzy89
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yes it is I believe that is the right version. Go for it. Just do a system restore and tell it no when it asks if you want to put it in fastboot since it already is.

We have a happy bunny! Kindle Fire HD 8.9 Restored!

Albeit now running version 8.1.4 where I was on 8.4.6 before but that isn't the end of the world!

Question:
Is this now back to complete factory settings unrooted etc? i.e. Essentially now back under amazon warranty?

Please check your PM Stunts. About to send you another message.

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
Actually it's rooted, we can't make a backup image without it being rooted. You would have to delete superuser from /system/app and the su binary from /system/xbin in that order to unroot it.

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Actually it's rooted, we can't make a backup image without it being rooted. You would have to delete superuser from /system/app and the su binary from /system/xbin in that order to unroot it.

Windows 7 X64 has driver signature enforcement that has to be disabled too.

stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 8th December 2013 at 06:57 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 497

DONATE TO ME
Couldn't send a pic in a pm so here is a reference to look for the check box.