[Q] Possibly Bricked KFHD 7"?

Tip us?

SaigonBlaze
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Possibly Bricked KFHD 7"?

Hi,

I think I might have bricked my Kindle Fire HD 7". I successfully rooted it using B1nary's tool (v17) and went about trying to install TWRP. I used this guide:

gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/the-simple-guide-to-root-the-kindle-fire-hd-and-flash-a-custom-rom

Sorry for the lack of direct links - it's because I'm newly registered

I started having trouble around Step 2, with the adb shell commands not working. So I tried another method, and came across this one:

liliputing.com/2011/12/how-to-install-twrp-2-0-touch-based-recovery-on-the-kindle-fire-backup-restore-flash-custom-firmware.html

Stupidly, in my haste I neglected to read the fact that this tutorial is for a Kindle Fire, not the Fire HD. I got to the final step, step 11 - switched off my KFHD and now it won't start up again. I have a fastboot cable bought from eBay but I'm not sure if I've totally screwed my device or if it can be fixed. Due to the fairly incompetent nature of my fault, I haven't been able to find a solution via searching XDA or other forums, either.

Any help much appreciated.

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaigonBlaze View Post
Hi,

I think I might have bricked my Kindle Fire HD 7". I successfully rooted it using B1nary's tool (v17) and went about trying to install TWRP. I used this guide:

gizmodo.co.uk/2013/04/the-simple-guide-to-root-the-kindle-fire-hd-and-flash-a-custom-rom

Sorry for the lack of direct links - it's because I'm newly registered

I started having trouble around Step 2, with the adb shell commands not working. So I tried another method, and came across this one:

liliputing.com/2011/12/how-to-install-twrp-2-0-touch-based-recovery-on-the-kindle-fire-backup-restore-flash-custom-firmware.html

Stupidly, in my haste I neglected to read the fact that this tutorial is for a Kindle Fire, not the Fire HD. I got to the final step, step 11 - switched off my KFHD and now it won't start up again. I have a fastboot cable bought from eBay but I'm not sure if I've totally screwed my device or if it can be fixed. Due to the fairly incompetent nature of my fault, I haven't been able to find a solution via searching XDA or other forums, either.

Any help much appreciated.
Yea, flashing anything meant for another device is almost a certain hard brick. when you plug your device into a USB port with a fastboot cable, does it enter fastboot? If it does, you can try a a system restore. If it does nothing, that's it for the device.

SaigonBlaze
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearEquation View Post
Yea, flashing anything meant for another device is almost a certain hard brick. when you plug your device into a USB port with a fastboot cable, does it enter fastboot? If it does, you can try a a system restore. If it does nothing, that's it for the device.
Thanks for the quick reply.

It does nothing. Diddly squat. Oh well, I guess I'll just chalk it up to incompetence experience....and go buy a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 3 :-|

LinearEquation
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaigonBlaze View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

It does nothing. Diddly squat. Oh well, I guess I'll just chalk it up to incompetence experience....and go buy a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab 3 :-|
I like my Kindle Fire HD however I just bought a Nexus 7 Flo to get me by until the Kindle Fire HDX has some custom ROM's (if it gets some.) I'm a flashaholic and need a fresh fix lol.