XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't update to 4.4

Tip us?

kench33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default Can't update to 4.4

So when I try to install the new 4.4 update it is stuck on the rebooting now screen, It has been there for 20 minutes. I am unlocked and rooted if that makes a difference. Also I tried to flash thunderkat and that also failed in twrp. I have no clue why. Just seeing if anyone might have an answer for my problem.

nigelhealy
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Default bootloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by kench33 View Post
So when I try to install the new 4.4 update it is stuck on the rebooting now screen, It has been there for 20 minutes. I am unlocked and rooted if that makes a difference. Also I tried to flash thunderkat and that also failed in twrp. I have no clue why. Just seeing if anyone might have an answer for my problem.
I had exactly the same, you must exit out of bootloop, factory reset then continue. WUGS NRT for N10 tells you to do it and how and when. I've only had this issue on N10, not my N7 or N4.

Example video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Se7Hr9Cww
Nexus 4 Stock 4.4.2+ Ziddey-franco r199 (OTG) , Nexus 7 stock 4.4.2+ Franco #76, Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2+ tan-ce kernel (ppp-widget)
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelhealy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kench33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
My nexus won't even reboot. It stays at that installing update screen, was that how yours was?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

nigelhealy
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
My nexus won't even reboot. It stays at that installing update screen, was that how yours was?

Huh? Are you updating? Don't. Do fresh stock install. Then unroot with no custom recovery. Then install custom recovery.

Nexus 4 Stock 4.4.2+ Ziddey-franco r199 (OTG) , Nexus 7 stock 4.4.2+ Franco #76, Nexus 10 stock 4.4.2+ tan-ce kernel (ppp-widget)
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelhealy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SacTappingUni
Old
Thanks Meter 13
In the mean time, you can return to normal by reflashing the cm nightly/stable ROM you were running when you tried to update to 4.4. I had the same issue, but managed to reflash the stable cm 10.2 zip and my nexus began to function again.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

But also I would like to know how to go about reflashing stock and undoing root without permanently losing my game data. From what I understand, a nandroid backup would take care of all of that for me?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app
Remind me to hit the thanks button if you helped me!
nook color: Rooted w/ PA 3 | Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
Droid [sholes]: Rooted w/ cm7 nightly -frequently updated| Verizon | No service
Nexus10: Rooted w/ cm10.2 nightly -frequently updated
The Following User Says Thank You to SacTappingUni For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrgnex
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Flash the latest Factory image via fastboot. There is a way tot modify the flash-all.bat so it wont wipe any data.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Premium HD app
SΛMSUNG/Google Galaxy Nexus
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: A.S.K.P. Patty Remix

SΛMSUNG/Google Nexus 10
ROM: Vanir Nightly
Kernel: Stock Vanir

kench33
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelhealy View Post
Huh? Are you updating? Don't. Do fresh stock install. Then unroot with no custom recovery. Then install custom recovery.

That will erase everything on it though, right?

nigelhealy
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
That will erase everything on it though, right?
Yes.

So? I backup myself and restore myself, using LAN file-server for small files and a USB drive for large files.

There is more time wasted in trying to keep data and settings than the time it takes to re-enter.