5,594,341 Members 38,218 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted and OTA 4.3, factory reset?

Tip us?

Bluegrassman
Old
(Last edited by Bluegrassman; 9th December 2013 at 12:36 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Rooted and OTA 4.3, factory reset?

***update 12/8/13***
My issues were resolved by the following changes:
1st issue: audio/video streaming not working over wifi

Solution: uncheck auto network switching under advanced wifi settings

2nd issue: unable to update PRL or Profile (session in progress, please try again later)

Solution: in Titatium Backup, unfreeze Samsung DM Service

I hope this will help others that may find themselves in the same situation I was in.

Running stock, re-rooted after ota 4.3. So many problems since ota update I'm at wits end. I actually like the stock and touchwiz, but this update has needed up so much. Wifi issues, no video over WiFi, no Pandora over WiFi, no Vine period. No YouTube over WiFi, can't update PRL or Profile.
My question: is it safe to try a factory reset at this point?
I so wish I could revert back to pre 4.3 and mja, but know that's not possible. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

ROMANTiC KiD
Old
Thanks Meter 179
Dont factory reset while being stock rooted. Just odin back to mja. The do a factory reset.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Bluegrassman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANTiC KiD View Post
Dont factory reset while being stock rooted. Just odin back to mja. The do a factory reset.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app
Sorry I want more clear in my original post. I already have mja from the ota update.
I'm just wanting to fix my issues related to the update, ie the Wi-Fi issues and inability to update PRL or Profile. I was wondering if possibly doing a reset might clear these issues up, and if so, is it safe to do now or will it screw something up.
Thanks for any advice

cruise350
Old
Thanks Meter 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassman View Post
Sorry I want more clear in my original post. I already have mja from the ota update.
I'm just wanting to fix my issues related to the update, ie the Wi-Fi issues and inability to update PRL or Profile. I was wondering if possibly doing a reset might clear these issues up, and if so, is it safe to do now or will it screw something up.
Thanks for any advice

What he was saying, is something is messed up with your install and it is better to clean slate it. First, a factory reset only wipes data from the phone and nothing else, so that is not going to do much. What you need to do is download the full MJA tar file and install it, then do a factory reset in recovery. By installing the full tar file, you will be reinstalling the modem, firmware, kernel and rom in one sweep. This should fix whatever the ota screwed up when it installed. By doing a factory reset after and maybe before also, it will clear out any app or left over garbage that might be on your phone causing the problems in the first place. You can find the full tar on sammobile or pm me and I'll send you a link to my dropbox.
Phones & Tablets: Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note 8", Evo 4g LTE, Evo 3D, Acer Iconia A500, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Ipad 2, Nabi 2,

Rom: Rooted Stock Odexed, Hotspot Mod, Xposed, Wanum
Firmware: NAE
Kernel: Stock
TWRP: 2.6.3.0

Bluegrassman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thank you very much for that clarification! I'm a little slow at this, but learning. In the short term, I fixed my wifi issues by disabling the autoswitch function. Still no PRL or Profile updates though. I'll try the above steps and post follow up. Matt have to be tomorrow when I have more time though.
Thanks guys!

Bluegrassman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Original post updated with 2 easy steps that resolved my issues.