XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GT-I9000M boot loop

Tip us?

confused121
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] GT-I9000M boot loop

My wife's GT-I9000M started doing weird things a few days ago. Mostly it would shut itself down mid call due the battery being dead. But it would turn back on shortly after and show ~25% battery capacity. Last night it was on, made a "funny" noise (her words, I wasn't there) and shut off. When I turned it back on it was like it did some sort of factory reset on it's own. It was sitting on the counter unused when this happened. After powering it off and plugging it in for a charge overnight, when I turned it on this morning it was stuck in some sort of boot loop. You hear the noise once and the animation just keeps looping. I started poking around online for some answers. I used to be really into technology however with kids taking over my life I've lost interest in that side of things.

I've read and tried a bunch of things. It won't let me boot into recovery mode (volume up, home, power) but I am able to get into download mode. I've spent the last few hours screwing around with it trying to flash the firmware using odin. I finally came across the following http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...01&postcount=1 after doing a search for similar problems on this forum. I downloaded the appropriate file and was able to get odin to flash it successfully. After that I am still having the same boot loop problem. That's when I decided to sign up here and see if anyone can help me figure this out. I see lots of mention of this boot loop problem but haven't found a solution that works. The phone is stock, GT-I9000M, virgin mobile in Canada. My own phone is exactly the same, bought at the same time. It shows the following:

Model #: GT-I9000M
Firmware version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: I9000UGKG3
Build #: GINGERBREAD.GKG3

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused121 View Post
Model #: GT-I9000M !
(since you had already flashed UGKG3, you would have lost all your data, if you had failed to save them.)

First you can enter 3E recovery to do the wipes & factory reset, and see if it boots after you have done a battery pull and press power button for a min before reinserting and trying. IF you look at My Android solutions ( link below) you would have other options to solve boot loops too.

or you can flash a rooted UGKG3 kernel to get root and CWM, once in CWM you can again do the wipes

or you can flash the full ROM with the rooted kernel from MY Android Collections link below under recovery kits (i9000M Upgrade or Downgrade GB 2.3.3 UGKG3 ROM + UGKG3 Root & CWM + 512 PIT Ideal base for upgrading to ICS, JB & Kit Kat)

For flashing guide and basic procedures follow this guide.

confused121
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for offering to help, I really appreciate it. I apologize in advance if my questions are dumb, I am really new to this and have not done anything at all with phones before. my comments are in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsenman View Post
(since you had already flashed UGKG3, you would have lost all your data, if you had failed to save them.)

First you can enter 3E recovery to do the wipes & factory reset, and see if it boots after you have done a battery pull and press power button for a min before reinserting and trying. IF you look at My Android solutions ( link below) you would have other options to solve boot loops too.

What exactly is 3E?

or you can flash a rooted UGKG3 kernel to get root and CWM, once in CWM you can again do the wipes

I tried this, it was successful according to Odin, but I still can't get into recovery mode and it does the boot loop thing.

or you can flash the full ROM with the rooted kernel from MY Android Collections link below under recovery kits (i9000M Upgrade or Downgrade GB 2.3.3 UGKG3 ROM + UGKG3 Root & CWM + 512 PIT Ideal base for upgrading to ICS, JB & Kit Kat)

For flashing guide and basic procedures follow this guide.

Next I followed your guide for this, After step 7 it rebooted into recovery with the red errors you show later of after the instructions. I tried to do step 3/4 but Odin gave a fail! message. Should I try to flash dbdata.rfs before flashing CF-Root-XX_OXA_JVU_2.3.6-v4.3-CWM3RFS?

xsenman
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2132
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused121 View Post
Thanks for offering to help, I really appreciate it. I apologize in advance if my questions are dumb, I am really new to this and have not done anything at all with phones before. my comments are in red below.
1) 3e recovery is the recovery that comes with samsung stock ROM

2) CWM is the recovery that has more features than the 3e recovery , which is used for flashing custom ROM without Odin

3) to enter recovery, use combo key press as shown in guide

4) Yes you need to flash dbdata.rfs to fix bootloops due to unreadable media files (junk)