5,599,911 Members 47,057 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DIY] NEXUS Palm/hand strap made from cheap headlamp!

Tip us?

naturecannon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 360
Default [DIY] NEXUS Palm/hand strap made from cheap headlamp!

I was in the hobby room looking for something to experiment with to construct a DIY Tablet palm grip. I ran into an older non-LED headlamp no longer used and the light bulb lit up in my head. (No pun intended )

Note: This palm grip works great for lounging around, I highly doubt its safe for watching a movie while jogging..... so if the N7 falls on the ground and breaks or if you get hit by a car, please don't come back here crying to me. Common sense is the key!!

Whats needed: Headlamp (pic below)
Or any elastic will do really. Go Snag the elastic off your underwear or use your man thong if no headlamp is avail

Strip the elastic off frame but do not cut it off, break plastic headlamp frame if need be. All you need is the elastic strap. Take the elastic that wraps your head .........and wrap it Kitty-corner so it barely and snugly grabs the corners of tablet/case. Strap may need adjust some. (I have not tried naked tab yet) There it is, you have a palm grip for your tablet. I am sure some headlamps vary in design, so you may have to use your imagination some. Getting an elastic strap is the main goal.

You can take it a step further and also use the small elastic strap that goes over the center of you head......Slip loop through the large elastic strap before you slip it on the corners...... and you can use it as a 3 finger, 2 finger etc quick grip.... (3rd picture below). I was thinking I may find a position liked and may have the wife sew loop onto the main strap. I may also come up with some other ideas in the next few days. Ya its fugly but functional, the beauty is it goes on and off in seconds, nothing to permanently stick to your tablet or case.

If you think its stupid or have already done this....well then good, go play somewhere else. I am just posting up a quick, easy, simple little idea. Not claiming to be a genious

See what you can come up with, refine the design and post up some pics if you have a headlamp laying around to fiddle with.

Main Elastic Strap...... Seidio Dilex case if your wondering , Top notch case by the way!!

Front view with strap barely grabbing and showing in front ( attached top left & bottom right in pic) or vice versa but I placed in this position so l can hold with left hand and still touch power and volume buttons easily if need be while hand strapped in.

Optional added top Head strap but not needed really

"A rising tide lifts all boats" JFK
[
The Following User Says Thank You to naturecannon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Joppykid
Old
(Last edited by Joppykid; 7th December 2013 at 10:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecannon View Post
I was in the hobby room looking for something to experiment with to construct a DIY Tablet palm grip. I ran into an older non-LED headlamp no longer used and the light bulb lit up in my head. (No pun intended )

Note: This palm grip works great for lounging around, I highly doubt its safe for watching a movie while jogging..... so if the N7 falls on the ground and breaks or if you get hit by a car, please don't come back here crying to me. Common sense is the key!!

Whats needed: Headlamp (pic below)
Or any elastic will do really. Go Snag the elastic off your underwear or use your man thong if no headlamp is avail

Strip the elastic off frame but do not cut it off, break plastic headlamp frame if need be. All you need is the elastic strap. Take the elastic that wraps your head .........and wrap it Kitty-corner so it barely and snugly grabs the corners of tablet/case. Strap may need adjust some. (I have not tried naked tab yet) There it is, you have a palm grip for your tablet. I am sure some headlamps vary in design, so you may have to use your imagination some. Getting an elastic strap is the main goal.

You can take it a step further and also use the small elastic strap that goes over the center of you head......Slip loop through the large elastic strap before you slip it on the corners...... and you can use it as a 3 finger, 2 finger etc quick grip.... (3rd picture below). I was thinking I may find a position liked and may have the wife sew loop onto the main strap. I may also come up with some other ideas in the next few days. Ya its fugly but functional, the beauty is it goes on and off in seconds, nothing to permanently stick to your tablet or case.

If you think its stupid or have already done this....well then good, go play somewhere else. I am just posting up a quick, easy, simple little idea. Not claiming to be a genious

See what you can come up with, refine the design and post up some pics if you have a headlamp laying around to fiddle with.

Main Elastic Strap...... Seidio Dilex case if your wondering , Top notch case by the way!!

Front view with strap barely grabbing and showing in front ( attached top left & bottom right in pic) or vice versa but I placed in this position so l can hold with left hand and still touch power and volume buttons easily if need be while hand strapped in.

Optional added top Head strap but not needed really

Lol i have that exact Headlamp. But that is for fishing in the dark
Tablet - Nexus 7 (2013) DJL 4.4.2 (Rooted)
Phones
Verizon LG G2 Digital Dream (Rooted)

Retired
Galaxy S2 - HTC G2 - Dell Streak - Nexus One *Rooted* - G1 (The OG) *Rooted*

Buried - iPhone 4s (figured to judge it I had to give it a try)

Client87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ha! Brilliant. I have a couple head lamps laying around.. This would be handy for laying in bed reading after my arm goes numb from laying uncomfortably to flick the pages!