5,597,707 Members 34,300 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Are there non-Touchwiz roms that work well with HDMI out/MHL?

Tip us?

cemicolin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Are there non-Touchwiz roms that work well with HDMI out/MHL?

I would love to ditch stock roms, but the lack of HDMI out is holding me back . I'm hoping the 4.3 leak may have helped, or that things have changed since my last hunt.

Sent from XDA mobile app

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
Try the Leak or check in S3 Resource Bible by @mt3g

mt3g
Old
Thanks Meter 3118

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Try the Leak or check in S3 Resource Bible by @mt3g
I don't have the capability to test that, well I do... but i haven't nor will I. I need to update that bible too... maybe this weekend if I get bored.
**HTC Uno Crew**
***Former RC Crew***

cemicolin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Doesn't the leak have TW in it? I know I can skin it to look like AOSP, but I just like having the real thing. I don't think many people use the HDMI feature because I can barely find anything about it in this entire forum/any others... @mt3g The Bible is awesome and thanks for the status update. You won't test every rom for me???

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
If I understand you correctly, then you'd love to go AOSP but worried the MHL Port HDMI output will break ?

If that's what you want to do, then why don't you do following.

1. Get all the hardware setup in order if not done already. This includes, Converter & HDMI Cable.
2. Test to see if the setup works with existing Touchwiz.
3. Take a Nandroid and then flash a Pure AOSP Rom, use MX Player or some other good quality player and see if the setup works again ?

If it fails, you can try VLC to mirror screens or use DLNA via your router ? You do have the option to go back via the Nandroid.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cemicolin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
If I understand you correctly, then you'd love to go AOSP but worried the MHL Port HDMI output will break ?

If that's what you want to do, then why don't you do following.

1. Get all the hardware setup in order if not done already. This includes, Converter & HDMI Cable.
2. Test to see if the setup works with existing Touchwiz.
3. Take a Nandroid and then flash a Pure AOSP Rom, use MX Player or some other good quality player and see if the setup works again ?

If it fails, you can try VLC to mirror screens or use DLNA via your router ? You do have the option to go back via the Nandroid.
Exactly.
1 Cyanogen mod is a definite no-go on HDMI, and I found that out after I'd bought all the cables... (for anyone who finds this thread, you have to use S3 specific MHL adapters)
2 It currently works great on 4.1.2 TW Roms. I have already experimented with the 4.1 and 4.2 roms on TW and AOSP.
3 Right now once you go to 4.3 you can't go back to earlier versions (that I know already works), but at least one person did report that HDMI worked on the OTA versions. I'm just not sure if AOSP developers have/can/will be pulling HDMI drivers into their S3 builds.

I've found that using Archos Video and adding my HD as a network share is much easier than making a media server.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
The extra support Samsung adds via Touchwiz framework makes it possible to do MHL Streaming for Touchwiz players. If you check, non-samsung video players have problems doing this over Touchwiz. So if you want to go aosp, you have to try DLNA (not Network Server) or Screen Replication.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cemicolin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I was hoping it wasn't TW specific, oh well. I'm selling my HTPC and planning on using my phone instead. Which means I will be streaming media to my phone, through the MHL port into the TV. Thanks for clarifiying it for me.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2324

DONATE TO ME
Just some food for thought if you please. Have you considered a TV Stick such as the Smartstick ? Perhaps for your setup, that may be an option.
They go for $24 right now. Link in the signature.

No I do not represent the company I develop custom Rom for it.

cemicolin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Just some food for thought if you please. Have you considered a TV Stick such as the Smartstick ? Perhaps for your setup, that may be an option.
They go for $24 right now. Link in the signature.

No I do not represent the company I develop custom Rom for it.
I haven't, but I'll check into it thanks!