[Q] TF700T keeps rebooting

Tip us?

groston
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy [Q] TF700T keeps rebooting

All,

After having used this device for more than one year (just beyond the warranty expiration), we have found two issues:
  1. The power button does not work properly - we seem to have to press harder, and in some cases, it seems to get stuck.
  2. The machine keeps rebooting - this just started happening and occurs most often when using MyLibrary - the major use of the machine. Note that most items are library loans, i.e., have DRM.

Some more information regarding the crashing:
  • I tried to clear the cache, but all that shows up under the memory size is 'calculating' and the clear cache button is disabled. Simply looking at this information, not even trying to change anything, crashes the machine (and several times, I had to hard reset it to get it goign again)..
  • I have tried a cold boot, but that did not help.

The only thing I can think to try at this time is:
  • Factory reset
  • Start using a different read app - strongly considering Cool Reader

Is there anything else I can try before nuking the machine and starting over?

SPECS: 32 GB, Android V4.2.1, rooted - stock ROM
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Sprint

berndblb
Old
Thanks Meter 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by groston View Post
All,

After having used this device for more than one year (just beyond the warranty expiration), we have found two issues:
  1. The power button does not work properly - we seem to have to press harder, and in some cases, it seems to get stuck.
  2. The machine keeps rebooting - this just started happening and occurs most often when using MyLibrary - the major use of the machine. Note that most items are library loans, i.e., have DRM.

Some more information regarding the crashing:
  • I tried to clear the cache, but all that shows up under the memory size is 'calculating' and the clear cache button is disabled. Simply looking at this information, not even trying to change anything, crashes the machine (and several times, I had to hard reset it to get it goign again)..
  • I have tried a cold boot, but that did not help.

The only thing I can think to try at this time is:
  • Factory reset
  • Start using a different read app - strongly considering Cool Reader

Is there anything else I can try before nuking the machine and starting over?

SPECS: 32 GB, Android V4.2.1, rooted - stock ROM
If you are rooted, try Lagfix from the Playstore. Google built the fstrim functionality into 4.3 - this does the same thing.
Let the app run a lot longer than it indicates it needs - I would run it overnight.
Any Android device gets clogged up over time. After a year of use a factory reset would not be a bad idea either.
Since you are out of warranty, consider unlocking and running a custom ROM - you won't believe the difference.... It's like getting a new tablet for free