XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just got my n9005 - Want your valued advise

Tip us?

Zizo47
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Just got my n9005 - Want your valued advise

Hey guys, I just got my n9005 and want advise on a few things.

1. What modifications/updates/fixes do you recommend I make to the phone. I know there's a whole load of bloat-ware I'm gonna have to disable/uninstall but mind you, I'm not looking to root... yet

2. What one application do you recommend for video playback. I usually use MXPlayer, but I'll admit its not perfect...

3. Lastly, any extra tips or recommendations will be much appreciated. Mind you, I really don't care about any of the gimmicky rubbish

mikemq2003
Old
(Last edited by mikemq2003; 5th December 2013 at 08:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 206
In order to uninstall the bloatware you have to be rooted. As far as video player goes. I just use the stock one. Seems to do the job for now.

Hit THANKS if I helped in any way

daz_2000
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Stock video is bad. Cant play any avi or mkv. Ive tried loads and Dice Player is best.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 620
A lot of the bloatware you can remove without root access... Ignore the people that say you can't.

Diceplayer and VLC for video, both free and both play everything. (most, mx included, don't play dts audio and some mkv codecs because of licensing issues.)

Replace touchwiz with Apex or Nova Launcher. Saves you 500 MB and is much faster.

Personally I also recommend Zooper Widget (you can also use it on the lockscreen), Sidebar Pro and Smart IR Remote(if you intend to use it as a remote for anything with an IR reciever. WatchON only does TVs and doesnt turn off even of you leave the app, so you have to disable it (you can) .)

Send From My Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Using Tapatalk
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock Unrooted.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

Juan123
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Don't update to MJ7!!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizo47 View Post
Hey guys, I just got my n9005 and want advise on a few things.

1. What modifications/updates/fixes do you recommend I make to the phone. I know there's a whole load of bloat-ware I'm gonna have to disable/uninstall but mind you, I'm not looking to root... yet

2. What one application do you recommend for video playback. I usually use MXPlayer, but I'll admit its not perfect...

3. Lastly, any extra tips or recommendations will be much appreciated. Mind you, I really don't care about any of the gimmicky rubbish

If you are on a firmware BEFORE MJ3 the top advice is to not update "Samsung-way" (actually disable all auto-updates and security updates) but instead:

- root with Universal Root De La Vega (and the precise same firmware you have now)

- upgrade to latest firmware for your region using Mobile Odin Pro - that way the Knox flag will remain 0x0.

There are two threads on that, make certain you read those. After that freeze anything you don't really use and use greenify for the rest.
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7