XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Note RAM Issue

Tip us?

bhasinusc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Note RAM Issue

Ok my Samsung Note is 1 year old but it lags heavily. It is running Android 4.1.2. Almost all the applications lag heavily and I had a question about the RAM.

Out of total 1 GB RAM , my note shows the available RAM as 863 MB. But the problem is that RAM usage always shows between 700-750 out of 863 MB. I have checked and calculated the total RAM usage by all the applications (Including Cached Processes/Background process) and it is about 380 MB.

But still there is a difference 680 - 380 MB = 300 MB which no application is using........Who is using this 300 MB?.......Is there a memory leak.....Should I give my Mobile for repair for reflashing the firmware?.........Kindly reply.

XxPixX
Old
Thanks Meter 390
Apart from changing the firmware then you can't do anything, this is normal with JB. If you want something lightweight then you could try OmniROM or CyanogenMod or any other AOSP ROMs.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000
ROM: Homemade OmniROM KitKat 4.4 with a few cherry-picks
Version: January 12th 2014
Kernel: Stock Kernel

Rich101
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm running official JB rom (rooted) and after a bit of tweeking it is running fine, with minimal lag. My memory usage is the same as yours, so I don't think that is your primary issue.

I suggest you do the following (as I did) :

. Backup all your apps and data using Titanium
. Factory reset
. Use the phone for a while without restoring to ensure there are no hardware problems. Performance should be good.
. Restore the essential apps you use. Again, use the phone for a while to ensure it runs without lagging.
. Restore the rest of the apps one by one.

In my experience the primary reason for the phone lagging is too many badly behaved apps that either use too much memory or hog processor time via wakelocks, etc.
Badly behaved apps unfortunately include some bloat that Samsung put on your phone by default. I had to disable (freeze via titanium) some samsung apps, such as Vlingo before my JB worked well. Use wakelock detector and cpu stats to determine which apps are misbehaving. If you just leave your phone alone most of the day you should be seeing around 70% deep sleep.

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted. I was about to trade up my note for a note 3 but after the optimisation I don't think I'll bother for a while because now my phone runs very well and make no mistakes, I am a heavy user.

Rich.

unkeen
Old
(Last edited by unkeen; 9th December 2013 at 11:53 AM.) Reason: ...
Thanks Meter 8
Try another Rom. IMO Omnirom is currently one of the best. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2516933
Cheers