5,600,841 Members 41,602 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Lost root somehow, any ideas how?

Tip us?

bls2633
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Lost root somehow, any ideas how?

I turned my s3 off for about a month while I used my note2. When I turned it off it was rooted with twr recovery and running a custom Rom. When I turned it back on the Rom was still running however I did loose all the widgets I was using. Over night titanium tried to run the scheduled backup redo. Then in the morning I noticed titanium said it could not gain root access. I tried other apps that require root and none will gain access. The super user app is still there but says there is no root. It's simple enough to re-root but I'm really curious as to what happened. Any ideas?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
Please Specify Rom and Android Version.

In short, if your TWRP recovery is intact try a factory reset from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bls2633
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks Persius, I haven't tried to go into recovery since I have to do it manually cause I'm not sure what will happen if it's not there. My computer is broke right now so I'm limited. It's been since the s3 first came out that I installed the Rom so I'm not really sure which one I'm on but it says JZO 54, and it's 4.1.2 Thanks again for your help

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls2633 View Post
Thanks Persius, I haven't tried to go into recovery since I have to do it manually cause I'm not sure what will happen if it's not there. My computer is broke right now so I'm limited. It's been since the s3 first came out that I installed the Rom so I'm not really sure which one I'm on but it says JZO 54, and it's 4.1.2 Thanks again for your help
Say... Are you sure we talking about an SIII or an S-II ?? That sounds like the 4.1.2 Stock of an S II. What does it say under Settings > About Phone > Model Number ?

Turn off completely then Hit Volumn Up + Home +Power all at the same time. Wait for 3 minutes or so with all 3 pressed. You will see Recovery come on. Let go of all 3 buttons and then do a Factory Reset in the recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bls2633
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Thanks again, under build that's what it says, jzo 54, I think it might be Liquid Smooth. And it is an s3. I will try to go into recovery if you don't think anything will happen if that's not there either. Something else weird I just thought of is I also had some strange kiddie like themes and apps I never put there. It's like someone else used my phone but that's not possible as I saw it every day and live alone. Strange. Any way, thanks again

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls2633 View Post
Thanks again, under build that's what it says, jzo 54, I think it might be Liquid Smooth. And it is an s3. I will try to go into recovery if you don't think anything will happen if that's not there either. Something else weird I just thought of is I also had some strange kiddie like themes and apps I never put there. It's like someone else used my phone but that's not possible as I saw it every day and live alone. Strange. Any way, thanks again
Yes its safe to Go into Recovery. Go ahead and do a Factory Reset. Let me know how that goes.

bls2633
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Ok, did the factory reset and went ahead and did the ota update to 4.0 I'm going to root again. Do you have any suggestions on a good Rom? Also what is the best way to root these days and best recovery? Thanks Perseus I appreciate your help and advice

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
I am confused. Wasn't (or shouldn't it be ) your S3 already on the JB 4.1 ? What did you mean by OTA update to 4.0 ? Are you referring to the OTA Update to 4.3 ?

I can not comment on Rooting unless I know which os version you have.

bls2633
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Sorry, was a misprint. Yes, went to 4.3

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2328

DONATE TO ME
So if you still have TWRP then flash Superuser from Recovery. Lookup its thread here on XDA.

However, with the Knox being present and SELinux in Enforcing state, your chances of Rooting are slim.

Please don't brick your device.