XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to get the "proprietary blobs" for the "first time" build

Tip us?

FatMinMin
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 840
Default [Q] How to get the "proprietary blobs" for the "first time" build

It's question me for a long time. All the custom rom's building instruction say that "Your device should already be running the branch of CyanogenMod you wish to build your own version of for the extract-files.sh script to function properly. If you are savvy enough to pull the files yourself off the device by examining the script, you may do that as well without flashing CyanogenMod first."

But where is the "first" proprietary blobs came from? I know for the nexus device we can get the driver from

developers.google.com / android / nexus / drivers

But how about the others? How can we get the kitkat proprietary blobs for "galaxy nexus" and other devices for the first time build?

ps: I am not sure if it is appropriate to post this question here. But I do not know where to ask... sorry if this is in appropriate. And also sorry for my bad English..

chasmodo
Old
Thanks Meter 37581

DONATE TO ME
https://github.com/DonkeyCoyote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasmodo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

HippyTed
Old
Thanks Meter 24
So for my i9100 (Samsung SII (intl)) I had to add
Code:
<project path="vendor/samsung" name="DonkeyCoyote/proprietary_vendor_samsung" remote="github" revision="android-4.4" />
inside the
Code:
<manifest> ... </manifest>
tags in
Code:
.repo/local_manifests/local_manifest.xml
The Following User Says Thank You to HippyTed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23404

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMinMin View Post
It's question me for a long time. All the custom rom's building instruction say that "Your device should already be running the branch of CyanogenMod you wish to build your own version of for the extract-files.sh script to function properly. If you are savvy enough to pull the files yourself off the device by examining the script, you may do that as well without flashing CyanogenMod first."

But where is the "first" proprietary blobs came from? I know for the nexus device we can get the driver from

But how about the others? How can we get the kitkat proprietary blobs for "galaxy nexus" and other devices for the first time build?

ps: I am not sure if it is appropriate to post this question here. But I do not know where to ask... sorry if this is in appropriate. And also sorry for my bad English..
In general, the blobs are first obtained by pulling all of the contents of /system from a device running stock.

Sometimes the blob archive winds up being a bit of mix-and-match of stuff from multiple sources...

It's a real mess and unfortunately there is no way to simplify the mess without raising some potential legal issues, as blobs are a bit of a grey area here.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tweakecho
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMinMin View Post

https://developers.google.com/androi...rivers#grouper

Here are all the stock blobs, Extract to your build folder then run the scripts in bash

They will then after accepting the license install to the correct vendor location.

( i just learned this last week )
The Following User Says Thank You to Tweakecho For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]