5,605,835 Members 47,963 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Why So Little HDMI (or MHL) Discussions?

Tip us?

i_guana
Old
(Last edited by i_guana; 6th December 2013 at 10:05 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Why So Little HDMI (or MHL) Discussions?

I'm curious as to why the topic of HDMI has so little interest. It just baffles me. We need to find a way to stir more interest in this topic. I have a TMo Galaxy Note 3 and I am having problems. I have both a 5 pin (with 11 pin adapter) and a native 11 pin device along with a Samsung AllShareCast dongle. All 3 worked at 1080p with my Note 2. Now with my Note 3 only the AllShareCast works at 1080p while the two MHL adapters now only work at 720p. I prefer MHL to the compression artifact laden AllShareCast so this is frustrating me. I'm just wishing there was a way to force any HDMI output to whatever resolution I want just as you can on a PC. If you go into the device section under settings on an Android mini PC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5ZFlJB7eo) you'll notice an HDMI selection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Android MiniPC HDMI Settings.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2436154

I want that menu on my phone! Why does none exist? It can't be too difficult to add it. Or is it? Need some Dev's to way in. There simply must be a relatively easy way to just select output resolutions using an app or from the Android settings. MHL has been around for some time now (2 years?). Come on! We have powerful PC's in our hands now! Let's get them desktop/home theater friendly!

Killberty
Old
Thanks Meter 384
Any apps needed for mhl? I froze so many in titanium backup, maybe too much...

I have LG IPS 277 with mhl cable but when i plug it in, i have black screen.

hit 'thanks' if i helped you
SM-N9005 DBT-DMJ7 0x0
XDA Developers 4 premium app

ItsMeOk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I did see where there are several different versions of adapters maybe you don't have the latest? IDK

Sammath
Old
(Last edited by Sammath; 5th December 2013 at 08:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 70
I have no problems using the official Samsung mhl cable. The one for the s3 and up that is. Most cheaper versions only have a 5 pin connector whilst the newer phones from Samsung (like s3 and up) require a 11 pin mhl. That would be the reason you get a black screen. Don't buy the cheap knockoffs imo. The Samsung stuff works because.. Well it's Samsung stuff

I am rooted, debloated and removed all crap with titanium backup etc. All works fine for me.

Sent from my SM-N9005 beast of a phone.

Killberty
Old
Thanks Meter 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammath View Post
I have no problems using the official Samsung mhl cable. The one for the s3 and up that is. Most cheaper versions only have a 5 pin connector whilst the newer phones from Samsung (like s3 and up) require a 11 pin mhl. That would be the reason you get a black screen. Don't buy the cheap knockoffs imo. The Samsung stuff works because.. Well it's Samsung stuff

I am rooted, debloated and removed all crap with titanium backup etc. All works fine for me.

Haha no cheap ****, the cable was with my monitor so i gave it a try

Thx for the hint with the 11pin

hit 'thanks' if i helped you
SM-N9005 DBT-DMJ7 0x0
XDA Developers 4 premium app

babyshanks
Old
Thanks Meter 90
I got this guy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Works fine and is nice and cheap.
Thanks for the F-Shack, Love Dirty Mike and the Boys.
I'm a sucker for the thanks button

i_guana
Old
(Last edited by i_guana; 6th December 2013 at 10:06 AM.) Reason: Added this to the OP
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammath View Post

I have both a 5 pin (with 11 pin adapter) and a native 11 pin device along with a Samsung AllShareCast dongle. All 3 worked at 1080p with my Note 2. Now with my Note 3 only the AllShareCast works at 1080p while the two MHL adapters now only work at 720p. I just wish there was a way to force any HDMI output to whatever resolution I want just as you can on a PC. If you go into the device section under settings on an Android mini PC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j5ZFlJB7eo) you'll notice an HDMI selection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Android MiniPC HDMI Settings.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	2436133

I want that menu on my phone! It can't be too difficult to add it. Or is it? Need some Dev's to way in.

i_guana
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32

DONATE TO ME
Anybody else agree? Can't we get a menu like that on our phone? Is it Samsungs implementation that's the issue?

Tags
galaxy, hdmi, mhl, note 3, resolution