XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] google services

Tip us?

winol
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] google services

can somebody explain to me what google services do?, ca it be turned off? what is its importance? all this queations because it drains battery a lot, about 30%, I had a S3, and google servs took 11% more or less, why such difference? thanks in advance
former symbian user, N95, N97, N8

old devices xperia S Lt 26, SGS 3 GT i9300 Saphire black,

current galaxy note 3 sm 900w8 black, debloated stock, rooted, . xposed framework, knox state 0x1

xclub_101
Old
Thanks Meter 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by winol View Post
can somebody explain to me what google services do?, ca it be turned off? what is its importance? all this queations because it drains battery a lot, about 30%, I had a S3, and google servs took 11% more or less, why such difference? thanks in advance
I think among other things it does the "location" and Google Now stuff - some of the recent builds have been quite bad and a lot of people had problems. Since I don't use Google Now (for the moment is useless in my country) and I rarely update I keep the services greenified and Play Store and Maps frozen - problem solved
N9005 Universal Root De La Vega / Mobile Odin Pro, Knox 0x0, MJ7
The Following User Says Thank You to xclub_101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moblaw
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by winol View Post
I think google services do the following things
Syncronising contacts to Goggle+
Syncronising Gmail for Gmail app.
'Would think google MAPS wont work either, just a hunch?'

Controls services inside Google Play/App store. Without it, google play wont work.

I've tried disableing it. Everything seems ok, except the above features are kinda disabled.
I have a hunch that google services and android system ui, works together.
The Following User Says Thank You to moblaw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JTY87
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Do you have network location services checked? I unchecked that and google services doesn't show up on my battery usage list anymore. And i now have about 20% more battery everyday. My phone seems to be locating me ok without that checked ie maps and nike running app. Its under settings/connections/location services/uncheck 'use wireless networks'. I hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to JTY87 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
battrry drain, google, services