5,600,664 Members 36,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

virus found

Tip us?

anotherfakeusername
Old
(Last edited by anotherfakeusername; 9th December 2013 at 12:04 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question virus found

I copied the contents of my HTC One's SD card to my hard drive, in order to backup it up, and when I ran a virus scan of the files I found 2 viruses.
  • One virus was a compression bomb, and it indicates that it's from the Simpsons game.
  • The other file was labeled a Google Translate file. It was marked a HIGH level threat by Avast. Googling reveals it to be Win32 virus.

Should I be worried?
Thank you.

BMP7777
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2240

DONATE TO ME
Try Airpush Detector. It may do the trick. There are also antivirus apps in Market that may or may not offer a solution. These may be a big deal, and they may not. I have gotten quite a few win32 'bugs' on my laptop system over the years, mostly from using programs that have 'cracks' and password generators. These issues seem like they'll end up being adware pushes from free video game installs, but I could be wrong.

CANDYKAT Development

CandyKat for all maintained devices(and we have quite a few!) - CLICK ME!
"How can I find out more about this CandyKat, BMP?" Right here, of course! - CLICK ME!

Gif by MenInASuitcase

mswlogo
Old
Thanks Meter 184
You can get false triggers sometimes too. The Virus Scanners are looking for patterns and can be tripped up.

And some legit tools, do break security rules that can be caught by scanners. Depends on the source of where you got them from if you trust them.

They could be real and got on the phone the instant the phone went on the air hoping they would eventually make their way to a windows PC.

And just because it found them, doesn't mean they are active either.
HTC One (O.M.J's Usually)