[Q] locked bootloader and knox

Tip us?

nofroyo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Smile [Q] locked bootloader and knox

Hi all

Quick inquiry and I didn't see an exact answer to a question that I have. So I have a note 3 rooted and knox flag currently set to 0x0. I was reading I think on here and some other fourms that knox has locked the bootloader. I want to flash a custom recovery and I know it will trip the knox flag. Is the bootloader locked already or am I able to load custom recovery without any issue?

idtheftvictim
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Do you have the T-mobile version? If so, then no, the bootloader is NOT locked.

Flashing a custom recovery WILL trip the Knox flag though.

jinda628
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by idtheftvictim View Post

Hi. I kind of in the same situation.
I am a Note 2 user since it came out and have tried many ROMs without problems. I recently upgraded to Note 3 and I haven't touched anything (rooting and flashing) because I remember reading before about some problems with Knox and eFuse or something. I got a T-Mobile note btw.

Do I have to treat Note 3 differently when rooting and flashing because of this knox, efuse issues?
I tried to look for a clearer answer but I'm still hesitant to proceed. Or is the process the same as rooting and flashing ROMs on Note 2?

Also, I have a Jump insurance with TMO, is this going to have some problem if later I have to claim replacements or upgrade? Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the help.

idtheftvictim
Old
Thanks Meter 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda628 View Post
Hi. I kind of in the same situation.
I am a Note 2 user since it came out and have tried many ROMs without problems. I recently upgraded to Note 3 and I haven't touched anything (rooting and flashing) because I remember reading before about some problems with Knox and eFuse or something. I got a T-Mobile note btw.

Do I have to treat Note 3 differently when rooting and flashing because of this knox, efuse issues?
I tried to look for a clearer answer but I'm still hesitant to proceed. Or is the process the same as rooting and flashing ROMs on Note 2?

Also, I have a Jump insurance with TMO, is this going to have some problem if later I have to claim replacements or upgrade? Thanks a lot. Really appreciate the help.
Well, from where we are right now with the Knox counter, if you flash ANY ROM or Kernel, then the Knox will trip, and will void your warranty. You can root using Root de la vega, or Kingo root without tripping the Knox counter.

I am not sure from a T-Mobile standing if they will give you a hard time with warranty if the Knox is 0x1. I have tripped my Knox counter, and have Jump also, but I honestly don't care. I am sure that SOMEHOW in the future we will be able to reset the Knox counter....I hope anyways.

Did that answer your question?
The Following User Says Thank You to idtheftvictim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nofroyo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:

I have note 3 with tmobile. Thanks for the help

jinda628
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:

Did that answer your question?
Yes you did! Thanks a lot. Important thing is at least I can root. I think I'll be happy with the stock TW, I'll just install some launcher instead.
But I need root for TB and other stuff.

Thanks!