XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

nexus 5?

Tip us?

mikey2487
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Question nexus 5?

has heard anything about the nexus 5 coming to verizon? granite i love my one but it just doesn't seem like there is much development and i thank the developers who are developing on it. how many of you would get it if it did or are planning on switching carriers if verizon doesn't offer it? was thinking about switching to sprint for the nexus 5 but i don't know if i want to leave my unlimited data on vzw. let me know what you guys think.

brholt6
Old
(Last edited by brholt6; 8th December 2013 at 11:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2487 View Post
has heard anything about the nexus 5 coming to verizon? granite i love my one but it just doesn't seem like there is much development and i thank the developers who are developing on it. how many of you would get it if it did or are planning on switching carriers if verizon doesn't offer it? was thinking about switching to sprint for the nexus 5 but i don't know if i want to leave my unlimited data on vzw. let me know what you guys think.
I'm pretty sure Verizon won't be getting the Nexus 5. For not even having the phone out for 4 months (less for actually having an s-off method), I'd say there's a decent amount of development. Kernel source is super new for us too and the consensus seems to be that once we get the official 4.3 update, we'll see some more. Looking through ROMs in other threads it just seems like after awhile you get a bunch of rendundancy. Just my .02, though. The Nexus 5 would be cool to have, but I personally wouldn't switch carriers for it...especially if I had unlimited data (I'm jealous of that btw haha). My parents still live in Central KS though so when I drive out there I only get good service with Verizon...that plays a little factor in my thinking.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One - S-off'd
iPhone 4 - Retired (thankfully)
Motorola Droid - Retired

mikey2487
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by brholt6 View Post
I'm pretty sure Verizon won't be getting the Nexus 5. For not even having the phone out for 4 months (less for actually having an s-off method), I'd say there's a decent amount of development. Kernel source is super new for us too and the consensus seems to be that once we get the official 4.3 update, we'll see some more. Looking through ROMs in other threads it just seems like after awhile you get a bunch of rendundancy. Just my .02, though. The Nexus 5 would be cool to have, but I personally wouldn't switch carriers for it...especially if I had unlimited data (I'm jealous of that btw haha). My parents still live in Central KS though so when I drive out there I only get good service with Verizon...that plays a little factor in my thinking.

yeah i don't vzw will get the nexus 5 but if they do that would be sweet. i guess you're right now that we do have s-off there has been more development. my roommates just switched to sprint last night and we live in phoenix, AZ and at our house i'm getting 2 4g bars and they are only on 3g so i know verizon's service is better but man can we get some nexus devices lol. i had the s4 before the one and got rid of it because i hated the cheap plastic feel. the one is an amazing phone don't get wrong i love this thing! yeah i love the unlimited data i probably use like 20-30 gb a month, i was grandfathered into their unlimited data in back in 08 when i got the og droid back in 08, the only problem thou is when i upgrade i have to buy the phone out right or ill lose my unlimited data

Dark Jedi
Old
Thanks Meter 570
The Verizon galaxy nexus explains it all. Verizon wouldn't let Google have access to the cdma network. So all updates had to go through verizon to be release to the phones. We all know how long it takes Verizon to release an update. So I think Google had it's fill of Verizon for a long time and until Verizon wakes up and allows Google access to their network you won't see another nexus device on Verizon.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

BreakingVZW
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2487 View Post
VZW won't get it. If they did they'd be in danger of making customers happy and we can't have that. Nexus 5 is a gateway drug. It can only lead other things that make ppl happy. Like unlimited data and timely software updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to BreakingVZW For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NotATreoFan
Old
Moderator Committee Developer Committee Working for the Weekend
Thanks Meter 4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingVZW View Post
VZW won't get it. If they did they'd be in danger of making customers happy and we can't have that. Nexus 5 is a gateway drug. It can only lead other things that make ppl happy. Like unlimited data and timely software updates.
But then they blow everybody's mind (in a headphone jack on the bottom sort of way) by releasing 4.4 for the Moto X ahead of all other carriers.

Verizon HTC One M7 for Sale on Swappa - Perfect Condition

Contact the Moderator Committee with any questions or concerns regarding forum moderation.

Please MENTION me if you require semi-prompt assistance. I may not see posts for several hours.

Twitter | Portal | Forum Moderator List

BreakingVZW
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotATreoFan View Post
But then they blow everybody's mind (in a headphone jack on the bottom sort of way) by releasing 4.4 for the Moto X ahead of all other carriers.
IPhone jab. Nice

The moto x thing should be considered the exception, not the rule. I just came out of my coma after my brain shut down trying to gauge the magnitude of a timely update that matters being released early by vzw. The nurses said sometimes the human brain will shut itself down to protect itself in traumatic instances. Timely vzw update is very traumatic.

NotATreoFan
Old
Moderator Committee Developer Committee Working for the Weekend
Thanks Meter 4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingVZW View Post
IPhone jab. Nice

The moto x thing should be considered the exception, not the rule. I just came out of my coma after my brain shut down trying to gauge the magnitude of a timely update that matters being released early by vzw. The nurses said sometimes the human brain will shut itself down to protect itself in traumatic instances. Timely vzw update is very traumatic.

I agree. But XDA + Unlimited Data = Happy Me.

Verizon HTC One M7 for Sale on Swappa - Perfect Condition

Contact the Moderator Committee with any questions or concerns regarding forum moderation.

Please MENTION me if you require semi-prompt assistance. I may not see posts for several hours.

Twitter | Portal | Forum Moderator List

BreakingVZW
Old
Thanks Meter 194
Oh I bet. I'm sans unlimited data BC Verizon hates every newish customer ever.