[Q] Helping a dev with rom

Tip us?

Roarster31
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Helping a dev with rom

Hi,

I've been using XDA for a while now, and with the help of many amazing devs I've managed to flash custom roms to all my older devices no problem! Recently I've been waiting for a dev to make changes to an existing kitkat rom, to fix a bug and I'm becoming a little impatient. I know everyone has their own lives to attend so I'm not complaining, rather I'd like to try and help this dev with the problem as I have quite a lot of experience with Android apps. I've read up on the CM wiki the sort of things that are involved in debugging roms etc. so I know that I'll only be able to help with the framework (as I know no C/C++).

So my question is, are there any ways I can help them, and will my help be appreciated considering the skills I have? I also have a decently fast computer too so I have a feeling I could help with building the rom.

Thanks.

thewadegeek
Old
Thanks Meter 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarster31 View Post
Hi,

I've been using XDA for a while now, and with the help of many amazing devs I've managed to flash custom roms to all my older devices no problem! Recently I've been waiting for a dev to make changes to an existing kitkat rom, to fix a bug and I'm becoming a little impatient. I know everyone has their own lives to attend so I'm not complaining, rather I'd like to try and help this dev with the problem as I have quite a lot of experience with Android apps. I've read up on the CM wiki the sort of things that are involved in debugging roms etc. so I know that I'll only be able to help with the framework (as I know no C/C++).

So my question is, are there any ways I can help them, and will my help be appreciated considering the skills I have? I also have a decently fast computer too so I have a feeling I could help with building the rom.

Thanks.
Ask them. Or ask their permission to use their ROM as a base, make some actually meaningful modifications, and release it. But as too your "skills" I didn't see you state what they were, and if you have to ask then probably not. Don't stop reading/learning though, you'll only get more knowledgeable.
Search before asking for help.
Search again.
Once more.
And again.
Now post.
Oh and you ask for thanks? I say no.

Roarster31
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewadegeek View Post
Ask them. Or ask their permission to use their ROM as a base, make some actually meaningful modifications, and release it. But as too your "skills" I didn't see you state what they were, and if you have to ask then probably not. Don't stop reading/learning though, you'll only get more knowledgeable.
Ok, I was thinking along the lines of making modifications and then pushing them to a git repo. Maybe they don't have one, I'll go ahead and ask. As for my skills, I was saying in my last post that I have quiet a lot of experience developing Android apps. Do you know what % of rom editing is Java based vs C/C++?

thewadegeek
Old
Thanks Meter 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarster31 View Post
Ok, I was thinking along the lines of making modifications and then pushing them to a git repo. Maybe they don't have one, I'll go ahead and ask. As for my skills, I was saying in my last post that I have quiet a lot of experience developing Android apps. Do you know what % of rom editing is Java based vs C/C++?
There is no hard/fast guide on what "rom-editing" is. Are you wanting to contribute to kernel development? Better know a lot of C. Wanna roll a cool application for a ROMs special settings? Java is what you want. What I'm getting is you know more Java, so why don't you write and application that you think will solve a problem, then talk to a developer about including it in their ROM?
Search before asking for help.
Search again.
Once more.
And again.
Now post.
Oh and you ask for thanks? I say no.