Tip us?

symbal
Old
(Last edited by symbal; 9th December 2013 at 03:02 PM.) Reason: Resolution
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Prompt [Q][KERNEL] Kernel loopback

Hi there,

I recently bought the wonderful Samsung Note 10.1 2014 and am looking to add loop device support to the kernel for the sake of booting *nix using the good old VLC trick. Even though I'm a software engineer and no stranger to Linux (or fstab), I'm very green when it comes to Android development.

When trying to run the bootup script, I recieve "mknod /dev/block/loop255 b 7 0". I.E my kernel doesn't support loopback devices.

I have extracted the kernel contents (ramdisk and init img) but was wondering whether anyone can give me a shove in the right direction when it comes to setting up the device.

So far, after a brief investigation, I have found the fstab.goldfish file which strikes me as looking just as I'd expect to see it on a normal box. Can anyone provide a quick shove in the right direction for knowledge (preferred) or even has a snippet from an existing unpacked kernel I may "borrow", Google was not my friend in such pursuit.

--Edit--
Looking through the build.prop, would simply disabling selinux give root permission to create a loop device? This again boils down to my warped inherent knowledge of Linux in general, sorry if it seems a poor question.

--Update--
I guess if the kernel wasn't compiled with support (as it appears it wasn't) there is no hope of modifying the stock ROM to achieve my goal? On the Samsung OSC, they have SM-P605_HK SM-P605_HK_JB_Opensource.zip so, I'm taking a look in there and will keep you posted just in case anyone is the least bit interested.

--Resolution--
I guess this thread can be ignored now, I'm pulling the config from my tablet, changing the kernel compile config and will test it out tomorrow. If in doubt, compile

thewadegeek
Old
Thanks Meter 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbal View Post
Hi there,

I recently bought the wonderful Samsung Note 10.1 2014 and am looking to add loop device support to the kernel for the sake of booting *nix using the good old VLC trick. Even though I'm a software engineer and no stranger to Linux (or fstab), I'm very green when it comes to Android development.

When trying to run the bootup script, I recieve "mknod /dev/block/loop255 b 7 0". I.E my kernel doesn't support loopback devices.

I have extracted the kernel contents (ramdisk and init img) but was wondering whether anyone can give me a shove in the right direction when it comes to setting up the device.

So far, after a brief investigation, I have found the fstab.goldfish file which strikes me as looking just as I'd expect to see it on a normal box. Can anyone provide a quick shove in the right direction for knowledge (preferred) or even has a snippet from an existing unpacked kernel I may "borrow", Google was not my friend in such pursuit.

--Edit--
Looking through the build.prop, would simply disabling selinux give root permission to create a loop device? This again boils down to my warped inherent knowledge of Linux in general, sorry if it seems a poor question.

--Update--
I guess if the kernel wasn't compiled with support (as it appears it wasn't) there is no hope of modifying the stock ROM to achieve my goal? On the Samsung OSC, they have SM-P605_HK SM-P605_HK_JB_Opensource.zip so, I'm taking a look in there and will keep you posted just in case anyone is the least bit interested.

--Resolution--
I guess this thread can be ignored now, I'm pulling the config from my tablet, changing the kernel compile config and will test it out tomorrow. If in doubt, compile
I believe "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP" is the config option you are looking for.
Search before asking for help.
Search again.
Once more.
And again.
Now post.
Oh and you ask for thanks? I say no.