XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UPDATE?

Tip us?

isanchez340
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Post UPDATE?

Just got mede fun of by a Samsung support guy, what do you guys think?

HTML Code:
General Info
Chat start time	 Dec 8, 2013 1:37:32 AM EST
Chat end time	 Dec 8, 2013 1:45:28 AM EST
Duration (actual chatting time)	 00:07:55
Operator	 Presley
Chat Transcript
info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Presley'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1117901427464X
Presley: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today? 
Visitor: Hello, I have a galaxy s2 D710 from spint and i have seen other galaxy s2 with android 4.2 does my phone have this update
Presley: I would provide you the required information.
Presley: I will be glad to assists you.
Visitor: does the sph-d710 from sprint have the android 4.2 
Visitor: update like other galaxy s2
Presley: I have checked the information and the Phone has the 4.1.2 update.
Presley: It do not have the 4.2.
Visitor: will it ever get it like other galaxy s2
Presley: Yes, sure.
Visitor: alright thanks
Presley: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with? 
Visitor: that all
Presley: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
info: Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

RainMotorsports
Old
(Last edited by RainMotorsports; 8th December 2013 at 01:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 707
It was put out awhile back in semi official form that we were not getting anything past 4.1.2. I haven't kept up but it appears the i9100 is still on 4.1.2 and even if it got 4.2.2 it was still be HIGHLY doubtful not only 4.2.2 wouldn't be developed for our varient but that Sprint would choose to spend the resources on testing. On some occasions a old variant update is moved to carrier testing and the carrier rejects testing outright.

4.2 on AOSP is the last you currently get to see of WiMax. There are no WiMax phones with android updates in development.

As far as AOSP projects and roms go 4.3 is available sans WiMax and while the CM builds seem a bit rough (Mic volume is very very very low on speakerphone) the 4.4 CyanogenMod 11 build Dastin has is working great. I haven't had GPS working this will since 2.3. Its smooth and fast but 4.4 AOSP is the end of the road for this phone to be honest. Its out of system space so it gets hairy from here on out. Custom rom users will have to either put up with stripping out apps or attempt to re partition the device for more space.

Also Samsung and Samsung support will almost never know when a phone on a US carrier is pushing an update, especially a Sprint phone. US carriers do alot of testing with all of their customization's. Samsung pushes a build to Sprint and days to weeks later it might get green lit. Samsung obviously knows when a phone is still being developed for and has a time frame for international device releases. However tech support almost never has a schedule that is not already posted on every android site in existance.
Current Phone Nexus 5 | Black 311 | CyanogenMod 11 | T-Mobile
Old Phone Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch | CyanogenMod 11 | FI25 Modem
Desktop i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X750
MSI GTX570 TF III @ 950/1900/2300 | 2TB 5900 + 2X320GB 7200 RAID0 | Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RainMotorsports For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

byrdcfmma
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by isanchez340 View Post
Just got mede fun of by a Samsung support guy, what do you guys think?
What I think is that if you want your phone updated, dont rely on the manufacturer or carrier to do it
The Following User Says Thank You to byrdcfmma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18788

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdcfmma View Post
What I think is that if you want your phone updated, dont rely on the manufacturer or carrier to do it
Yep, that's why we're all here isn't it? Because stock just isn't good enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to bilgerryan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]