5,599,254 Members 37,364 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is this normal? Screen quality issue? (Looks very pixelated)

Tip us?

jaytee23
Old
(Last edited by jaytee23; 9th December 2013 at 12:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by notebooko View Post
That's actually not the design of the battery icon. Rather, the battery icon looks like that because of the technology of the screen used. Samsung decided to put a RGBW matrix screen rather than the traditional RGB matrix. You can see the difference in the review gsmarena did comparing the iPad Retina and the Note 10.1 2014. Here are the pics showing the matrices.

This is the traditional RGB matrix:

This is the RGBW matrix in the Note 10.1:

Actually, you should try what I described and see for yourself. I know the sub-pixel matrix is pentile, but I don't think that's what he's seeing.

notebooko
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie Affy View Post
I agree that some people have been disrespectful to you, I think most (inc myself) just find it hard to believe you can see any pixels on a screen which has the best screen possible in the tablet market. If you see pixels on this then surely you would see them on every tablet since the all have lower resolution. Anyways glad you decided to keep it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have....I love it.

-------------------

The only thing I noticed when I seen the the Note 10.1 on display at a local electronics store (Bare in mind it was very very heavily lit area) was these faint white/crystal matrix lines running all along the entire screen from top to bottom and the viewing angle had to be pretty precise to see it and had to focus on it a lot - LOL.

Basically imagine the RGBW matrix that notebooko just posted, identical to that however very faint. But it seems as though it was on the screen since the screen was on and thats when I seen it.

I havent been able to recreate it in the house but curious to what it is. Just a guess but maybe it could be some sort of filer for the RGBW display or something.
I think what you were actually seeing was the Wacom digitizer. If you look at the lenovo thinkpad tablet, which uses the same technology, then it is a lot more apparent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to notebooko For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Geordie Affy
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by notebooko View Post
I think what you were actually seeing was the Wacom digitizer. If you look at the lenovo thinkpad tablet, which uses the same technology, then it is a lot more apparent.
You sir are 100% right

I did a quick Google search and found the same type of line layout I seen that day at the store and tbh now that I think about it, it does make sense - thanks for that as I was very curious to what those lines were for.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy SIII
Dell Inspiron 1720 - Awesome Laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to Geordie Affy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

funfun99999
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Its funny discussion. Will me too I can see the pixels in all the screens I have. Sony xperia ultra , note 3, Note 10.1 2014, Toshiba eXcite Write. My friend iPad and iPhone. Its everywhere if I look close. But when I using the phone or tablet normally I don’t notice it.