XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trouble opening Unlocker_V8

Tip us?

gorilla p
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Question Trouble opening Unlocker_V8

I am trying to install recovery and root the TF300T that I just got. It looked like I needed to start off by unlocking the bootloader. I downloaded the file from the Asus website (V8 unlocker) since it is running 4.2.1. However after trying to run the unlocker, I keep getting "There was trouble parsing the package" immediately upon opening the APK file. I have been able to install other APK's without a problem. I tried 2 different file managers, downloaded v8 unlocker from 2 different locations, tried downloading it directly to device as well as transferring from PC. Still no luck. Is there anyone that can assist with this? Thanks.

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla p View Post
I am trying to install recovery and root the TF300T that I just got. It looked like I needed to start off by unlocking the bootloader. I downloaded the file from the Asus website (V8 unlocker) since it is running 4.2.1. However after trying to run the unlocker, I keep getting "There was trouble parsing the package" immediately upon opening the APK file. I have been able to install other APK's without a problem. I tried 2 different file managers, downloaded v8 unlocker from 2 different locations, tried downloading it directly to device as well as transferring from PC. Still no luck. Is there anyone that can assist with this? Thanks.
Im pretty sure there is a Windows Utility you can try to connect with the tablet over ADB to unlock.
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE

gorilla p
Old
(Last edited by gorilla p; 7th December 2013 at 07:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
That would make sense, but I've had trouble finding a utility to do so. I will look around a bit more, but there's nor eason I shouldn't be able to run that APK. The V7 one runs fine, but finishes with some unknown error.

gorilla p
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
That would make sense, but I've had trouble finding a utility to do so. I will look around a bit more, but there's nor eason I shouldn't be able to run that APK. The V7 one runs fine, but finishes with some unknown error.
Well it looks like I was able to get it rooted, but I still can't install another ROM because I can't unlock the frickin bootloader. The guide that I followed didn't mention having to unlock the bootloader before being able to install the TWRP recovery. I went ahead and follwoed the instructions to flash the TWRP recovery and now my recovery image is shot. I need an option other than the APK tool from Asus for unlocking the bootloader.

ebildude123
Old
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Well it looks like I was able to get it rooted, but I still can't install another ROM because I can't unlock the frickin bootloader. The guide that I followed didn't mention having to unlock the bootloader before being able to install the TWRP recovery. I went ahead and follwoed the instructions to flash the TWRP recovery and now my recovery image is shot. I need an option other than the APK tool from Asus for unlocking the bootloader.
1 problem: The official asus tool is the only one that can unlock your bootloader.

nyr35blue
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebildude123 View Post
1 problem: The official asus tool is the only one that can unlock your bootloader.
And sadly in most cases that tool doesn't work. Tablet has been locked the whole year I've owner this thing. :-\

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD
Google Nexus 5
Kit Kat 4.2.2

Asus Transformer TF300T
Jellybean 4.2.1

gorilla p
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr35blue View Post
And sadly in most cases that tool doesn't work. Tablet has been locked the whole year I've owner this thing. :-\

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD
The unlocker-V7 worked on the latest jellybean without any issues. I had to contact asus after registering the device on their site. i included the SN and MAC address. I also included a link to the google search results for the issue so they know the extent of it. They did something on their end and V7 was able to run and unlock it. They got back to me the next business day as well.

nyr35blue
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
The unlocker-V7 worked on the latest jellybean without any issues. I had to contact asus after registering the device on their site. i included the SN and MAC address. I also included a link to the google search results for the issue so they know the extent of it. They did something on their end and V7 was able to run and unlock it. They got back to me the next business day as well.
I've actually been on the phone with them multiple times and I couldn't get it straight with them no matter what. Usually I would get a tech that was of no use and not very technical so I basically gave up and this was months ago.
Google Nexus 5
Kit Kat 4.2.2

Asus Transformer TF300T
Jellybean 4.2.1

cmendonc2
Old
Thanks Meter 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr35blue View Post
I've actually been on the phone with them multiple times and I couldn't get it straight with them no matter what. Usually I would get a tech that was of no use and not very technical so I basically gave up and this was months ago.
But did you use v7 or v8?
My Devices:

[Retired] Nook Color (CM10)

LG Optimus Dynamic II L39C (Stock, rooted)

Asus Tf300t (CM11)

Transformers: Install NvFlash for JellyBean Transformer bootloader to become unbrickable HERE Guide: Here!
Wantfree phone and tablet accessories or Google Play gift cards? Go HERE

nyr35blue
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmendonc2 View Post
But did you use v7 or v8?
Pretty sure I have tried both as soon as there was a post here about it but just to make sure I just downloaded 7 from the asus site right now and gave it a shot and sure enough i get a network error, try again, etc. I know they have duplicate MAC addresses on file for me and each and every time i asked them to update their site with my current MAC they talk about "im sorry...we cant support unlocking......it voids your warranty"........blah blah blah...... meanwhile they provide the tool. Go figure. That's why I just said F it I wont buy another Asus product again.
Google Nexus 5
Kit Kat 4.2.2

Asus Transformer TF300T
Jellybean 4.2.1